Sublime Forum

German Keyboard -> no work possible

Hey, i absolutely love Sublime Text 2,
but i am german and i have a german keyboard and a lot of the key bindings won’t work.
Is there a solution, or has anyone made a user keybindings file for that case?
It’s not possible to work properly with the current state.

0 Likes

Just for being thorough, could you include some examples on the specific issues you experience? What keys/symbols don’t work? What functional bindings don’t work?

0 Likes

ok, for example, these shortcuts don’t work:
console ctrl+`(i have to press ctrl+ö as i just found out)
comment ctrl+/ (still no clue what to press instead, the / is upper case 7 in german and on an american keyboard, it would be the key that is - on the german keyboard, but when i press ctrl±, it just zooms out)
and some more

so it really just doesn’t work for the special keys that are on the right hand and the numbers…

0 Likes

You can define our own keybindings using the menu item Preferences/Key Bindings - User.
To toggle comments insert

{ "keys": "ctrl+7"], "command": "toggle_comment", "args": { "block": false } },
	{ "keys": "ctrl+shift+7"], "command": "toggle_comment", "args": { "block": true } }
]

This is the way eclipse does it.

To togle the console panel I prefer

{ "keys": "f12"], "command": "show_panel", "args": {"panel": "console", "toggle": true} },

which is simpler than Strg-ö.

0 Likes

ok, so to come back to my original question: has anyone made a user keybindings file for that case?
there is noone who made this, so i can use it.
i guess, i’ll just make my own keybindings file and upload it, so anyone can use it.

i’m in my finals, though, so i will do that in a few weeks.

0 Likes

Did you try ctrl+shift+7 to toggle comments? The only keybinding I had to remap is ctrl+` for the console.

0 Likes

obviously, i tried. doesn’t work. ctrl+shift+7 != ctrl+/ even though upper case 7 is /.
sad story, otherwise, it would’ve been so easy.

0 Likes

I’m using the similar nordic layout (norwegian specific) all I have rebound is these few: (not including plugins or bindings I only use for plugin dev)

[code]
// Comments
{ “keys”: “ctrl+alt+c”],
“command”: “toggle_comment”,
“args” : { “block”: false }
},

// Console
{ "keys": "alt+x"],
	"command": "show_panel",
	"args"   : {"panel": "console", "toggle": true}
},
{ "keys": "ctrl+alt+shift+p"],
	"command": "scope_to_extended"
},

// Lazy comma fix
{ "keys": "super"],                    "command": "unbound" }[/code]

The lazy comma fix is just what it says, a lazy edit to allow moving everything I actually use around without having to move the comma. No super key on pc’s.

0 Likes

I thought I would mention the sublime.log_input(True) command if you haven’t come across it already. This way, you should be able to actually see what keys are being sent to the editor. It may help in defining your new keybinding file. Or it may not. I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere before, so thought I would throw it out there.

0 Likes

Well the ` is the equivalent to the German - with in combination with the control key is zooming. But I created a version, that replaces the ctrl+` with ctrl+shift+c for commenting:

[
//Commenting
{ “keys”: [“ctrl+shift+c”], “command”: “toggle_comment”, “args”: { “block”: false } },
{ “keys”: [“ctrl+alt+shift+c”], “command”: “toggle_comment”, “args”: { “block”: true } },
{ “keys”: [“ctrl+ö”], “command”: “show_panel”, “args”: {“panel”: “console”, “toggle”: true} },

//Folding
{ “keys”: [“ctrl+shift+ö”], “command”: “fold” },
{ “keys”: [“ctrl+shift+ö”], “command”: “unfold” },

//Indenting
{ “keys”: [“ctrl+ö”], “command”: “indent” },
{ “keys”: [“ctrl+ö”], “command”: “unindent” }

]

0 Likes