Sublime Forum

Many shortcuts not seem to work for me

trying to get familiar with this awesome editor but when you do not have the shortcuts working for you, it’s a real bummer.

this is windows 7.
sublime text 2
2.0.1 build 2217
and the ctrl+shift+p opens internet explorer!
that’s not the only problematic one…

but I checked the bindings, I got this;
{ “keys”: “ctrl+shift+p”], “command”: “show_overlay”, “args”: {“overlay”: “command_palette”} },

and here is another example

I write a sample sentence, say this is an awesome editor. I select the word awesome and do ctrl+u, nothing happens. isn’t it supposed to turn it to upper case?
To get “awesome” to upper case, I have to first ctrl+k and then ctrl+u. I’m confused.

but on the other hand, ctrl+a, ctrl+z, ctrl+c & ctrl+p works every single time.

0 Likes

As to the ctrl+l and ctrl+u, I guess that’s the way it is, you always have to do the ctrl+k thing first.
I noticed the same thing in getting the sidebar, you can’t just toggle the sidebar with a shortcut combination. it has to be ctrl+k and then ctrl+b every single time.
so to turn it on, do “ctrl+k” and then “ctrl+b”. and to turn it off again, do “ctrl+k” and then do “ctrl+b”. so always to ctrl+k before doing anyshort? is that it?

and for the time being, for bringing up the command palette, I have to use “ALT+T” and then {enter}.

there is definitely something wrong here.

0 Likes

It sounds like you have some global key bindings that are interfering with Sublime Text. If you do ctrl+shift+p outside of the editor, what happens?

You can view all the default keybindings by going to “Preferences -> Key Bindings - Default”. Furthermore, you can define your own keybindings by going to “Preferences -> Key Bindings - User” . You can view what commands are being run from a particular key combination by entering “sublime.log_commands(True)” in the console.

0 Likes

same thing happens. ie fires up.

but I don’t think the culprit IE itself.
Why I say that?
I checked the internet explorer properties, and the shortcuts shows as “none”.

0 Likes

Could you tell me the steps to get to the console?

And also, could you tell me if the “ctrl+k+l”, “ctrl+k+u” is the only way to toggle between lower and upper case?

To tell you the truth, I was expecting it to be simpler; such as highlighting a text and simply going for ctrl+l for lowercasing it and ctrl+u for upper casing it.
I’m not sure why it takes a triple key combination? why the need for ctrl+k in there?
If that’s the way it is, that’s the way it is. I’ll accept that.
I just want to make sure that my weird system is not at fault in this business as well.

0 Likes

I don’t know what applications you have installed so it’s hard to say what created that keybinding. So I can’t help you there.

You can open the console by going to View -> Show Console. Then enter that command in the console. Yes, by default, “ctrl + k, ctrl + l” and “ctrl + k, ctrl + u” has to be used to change the case. By default, “ctrl + l” is a shortcut for select line and “ctrl + u” is a shortcut for soft undo. The key bindings are stored in a JSON structure, and as I previously said, you can define a keybinding for them if you would rather have those as upper/lower case conversion rather than the default behavior. For example, to rebind the upper and lower case commands as you described, you user keybinding file would look like this.

{ "keys": "ctrl+u"], "command": "upper_case" }, { "keys": "ctrl+l"], "command": "lower_case" } ]

0 Likes

thank you for your superior answer.

0 Likes

I’ve found a solution for me in the same case: the “ctrl+shift+p” hotkey was held by Download Master software. You should check if any software holds it.

0 Likes