Sublime Forum

Ruler not working right

I’m trying to place a ruler at column 80, however this setting:

“rulers”:[80],

is putting it at 196. Am I doing something wrong? Others I’ve shown this to think my setting is correct.

Thanks!

0 Likes

I have the same problem.
ruller to 80 puts the ruller at column 167.

0 Likes

Solved by reinitializing the settings.
Than write again in the user’s config file “ruler[70]” and should work

0 Likes

I have same problem with sublime text 3 build 3114 on ubuntu 16.04, how can I fix(initializing the settings. what this mean step by step) this ?

0 Likes

Post steps and all contextual information to reproduce the problem please.

Have you tried with a clean install?

0 Likes

when you set wrong the config param for font_face, for example wrong font name or misspelled name you will get wrong rulers. It is clean install.

0 Likes

I see. Looks like an unknown font face messes up more than just the rulers; faceless recently had a problem with font size as well.

I guess Sublime could warn users that it can’t find the specified font face in that case.

Note: on my machine though the fallback font is ugly enough that I wouldnt mistake a fontface problem with something else.

0 Likes

Sublime should probably fall back to a known good font on the system and handle it like every other font. For some reason, whatever it falls back to just doesn’t get handled in a normal fashion breaking things.

1 Like

:+1:
I guess because the default font_face is defined in the platform specific Default preferences files, and the way the settings/resources API works, it can no longer retrieve the value from there once it has been overridden in a User file.

0 Likes

Maybe, but internally, it should always have a sound default. It shouldn’t care that the default setting gets wiped out as internally it should be prepared and have something that works.

0 Likes

I don’t know about Sublime Text’s internals, but having dealt with font problems in other apps I will point out that often when a particular requested font is not found, the OS silently substitutes its best guess at an alternative font and the application doesn’t necessarily know about it. So ST mightn’t be able to substitute a known good font in this case.

3 Likes

These latest replies don’t seem related to the original post, but they appear related to what I’m experiencing so I suspect I should stick with it.

If I set "rulers": [32] (convenient for PICO-8 work) in Settings - User or some other user settings file, it works. If I then set View > Ruler to anything, including None, the “rulers” setting stops working but only for the file type (or syntax type) that was active when I made the menu selection. I have tried all sorts of things to get it back such as setting the menu to None or changing the “rulers” setting to other columns, empty values, and the same value as the menu, but nothing works. I even tried changing the file type to another syntax type and back. I expect reinstalling Sublime would work but that is such a harsh move for such a small annoyance.

If this can’t be made to work as intended then consider a setting for adding to or overriding the options in the menu. That might be more useful anyhow.

0 Likes

Using the menu to set a ruler sets a view-specific setting that will persist only for that view. The only ways to remove this is to close and reopen the view or to manually erase the override via view.settings().erase("rulers").

2 Likes

Thanks, I just realized I must have missed the obvious testing of closing the file and/or Sublime and reopening. I thought I had done that but it does indeed work to close the file and reopen to get the correct ruler back. Not sure how I got to thinking otherwise. Sorry.

0 Likes

I have this problem on sublimetext 3 build 3126. Ruler does not appear on all files after defined it on Users Preferences. I just bought this after years of use and now headache of missing functionality :frowning: so sad.

I have tried change fonts, sizes, restarting etc. nothing…
my config file:
{ "bootstrapped": true, "ensure_newline_at_eof_on_save": true, "font_size": 11, "ignored_packages": [ "Vintage" ], "in_process_packages": [ ], "installed_packages": [ "Laravel Blade Highlighter", "Package Control" ], "rulers": [ 80 ], "translate_tabs_to_spaces": true, "font_face": "Monospace" }

0 Likes

What does that mean exactly? In which files do you see it and in which do you not?

0 Likes

actually it does not appear in any. only in the ones I set manually through the menu option.

0 Likes

You might have rulers specified in a different place that can override user settings then. Examples for this are project-specific and syntax-specific settings.

Project settings are configured in the project file (Project → Edit Project…) and syntax-specific in special user settings files (Preferences → Settings - Syntax Specific).

0 Likes

yeah, perfect. that works! thanks :slightly_smiling:

0 Likes