Sublime Forum

Using Sublime on multi-desktop Ubuntu

Greetings Sublime users,

I have been using Sublime for a few months now and I am very happy with this editor - I am using it for all my text work now. I am running Sublime version 2.0.1 on Ubuntu 12.04.

One problem that I have not yet been able to solve is the problem of default file open behaviour. As long as I keep my work confined to one desktop, everything is fine - files I click on in Nautilus are opened as new tabs in current Sublime instance. Great. This does not work so well when I switch to another desktop though. Now when I open files nothing happens, b/c the file is actually opened in a new tab in Sublime running on another desktop.

This behaviour is very frustrating, so I wanted to see how others might have handled this situation. I know that I can add a ‘-n’ switch to ‘sublime.desktop’ file in order to have all files opened in a new window, but this is not perfect either as it creates much clutter.

It seems that in order for this to work perfectly, Sublime would need to be aware of the multi-desktop environment. Then we would have one Sublime instance per desktop, each handling the tabs with files opened from that desktop. I am fairly sure that Sublime does not integrate so deeply with the windowing environment though, so this option is unlikely.

Are there other ways? How would you deal with this issue?

Thanks!

0 Likes