Sublime Forum

[HELP] File protection for multiple coders

Hi,

I’m fairly new to sublime but I’m using it for some web dev with my friend. We have both paid the licence fee as we love the program.

We installed sFTP to link to our server that hosts the files. We have saparate folders although some files are common to both of us.

I was wondering was there a plugin for ST2 similar to TFS in visual studio?

For those of you who don’t know, TFS allows users to check in, and check out files for editing. This means that only 1 programmer can be editing the file at one time. Once finished, he checks the file in making it available to other developers.

A problem occurs when we both edit the same file at the same time meaning some text will be missing.

Any idea?

0 Likes

I highly recommend moving to a real version control system, such as git.

To answer your question, though, I don’t know of any plugin that allows locking files like this from Sublime.

0 Likes

thanks for the quick reply

the problem with me using git on the server is as follows:

I use a http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=822&c=1655&sc=1656&t=1659&n=6681 (QNAP TS209) NAS system to host my files. To save you clicking that link, ill explain quickly.

Its a network attached external storage device running Linux. It also doubles as a webserver (among other things). It’s faily locked down and dfficult (not impossible) to add new features on it, such as git

this is why i wondered if there were any other options available with sublime

0 Likes

Git doesn’t actually require you to run anything special where you’re storing the files. It runs quite happily straight off a filesystem.

There’s no native support for sftp in git, but if you can use ssh or Samba (Windows File Sharing), that’ll work just fine too.

0 Likes