Sublime Forum

Find Results - not able to collapse found items

I noticed that it’s not possible to collapse large compressed JavaScript files in Find Results.

I search some text in JS files. If the text is found in a large compressed file, I’m not able to collapse the found file.

When I mouse over the gutter the triangle will not show up, but it shows up for other not compressed JS files in the same list of results.

This can be quite annoying because the compressed files are the ones you want to collapse.

The size of the compressed file is 1.4 MB.

Mac/ST 3 (3030)

*** EDIT:
As a JavaScript developer, I constantly need to search large projects containing compressed JS or CSS files.

I’m not interested in finding results in the compressed files, but I can’t remove them from the project.

I decided to use Sublime Text because of its speed, but I need to have the ability to ignore compressed files in search results.

I’m so hopeful this can be easily fixed in the next release. :exclamation:

0 Likes

You might try overriding the setting “binary_file_patterns” in your project settings, per project, to exclude specific xyz.js files in addition to the wildcards listed in the default settings.

I can’t see a straightforward way that Jon would be able to autodetect compressed js during file scanning since parsing out files would significantly slow the process of scanning and finding.

One thought that did occur to me was that the parsing during symbol scanning for “goto definition” etc. in ST3 might perhaps be indicative of files appropriate for “find in files”. That would largely depend upon how Jon’s implemented the algorithms for building tags etc…

0 Likes

If your compressed js files follow a common naming convention, such as having a common suffix, or living in a common folder, you can exclude them from Find in Files via the ‘Where’ field, using a pattern such as “-min.js" or "-output/

1 Like

We should be able to have a setting for this… is not possible to write down, every time we do a search, every javascript file we want to exclude, there is also, folders, like the .git folder. We can hide these from sidebar, but I guess we don’t want to hide, we want just to exclude from find and replace…

0 Likes

I just want to be able to collapse the compressed JS files in Find Results. The collapse feature is not working. This is a defect.

I don’t mind if the compressed files are included as long as I can collapse them.

0 Likes

Is this defect difficult to fix? I’d think this should not be difficult to fix.

I’d like the triangle for collapsing search results to show when I mouse over the gutter.

Currently, the triangle is not showing for large compressed JS files, but it shows for other found results.

I don’t mind if the compressed JS files are included in the search results as long as I can collapse them.

The search feature is very annoying to use when it includes results of compressed files.

I paid for the ST2 license and the ST3 upgrade.

0 Likes

Late to the party but 5+ years later this is still a defect. In my case it’s occurring for large JSON files.

In summary

1. Search my folder structure
  2. Matches are found multiple files
  3. Can “collapse” normal java, js files
  4. Some big files are also finding results
  5. I cannot collapse them and need to scroll for ages to get past them
0 Likes