Sublime Forum

Convert the online plugin API docs into CHM

As we all know the plugin API for Sublime is currently online, and if you didn’t know that, here lies the answer.

I personally find them a bit… Useless. And I mean that with as little offence to Jon and anyone who contributed. I really think that they could be produced into a better format, preferably a CHM (Windows help manual).

I would be happy to write examples for the different API calls and methods where applicable, providing includes with the examples already available. Seeing as the F1 binding is currently an “Unknown context selector”, I can’t see a problem with hooking them together.

Obviously this will take a lot of time, mainly producing the examples in the shortest, most direct way, but I’ll figure something out.

What does everyone think to such an “idea” and whether it would be worth it.

jbrooksuk

0 Likes

I think the online reference is a great start for a full api documenation. But I also think the documentation is missing a few things:

1. There is no “easy” introduction, just a reference.
  2. There is no “overall picture” documentation, explaining what each part does. Well there is, but it didn’t help me much.
  3. A lot of the documentation is difficult to understand.
  4. There aren’t many examples.

Having said all that, I think the problem is with the content, not with the fact that it’s online. I don’t see how turning into a chm would help.
In fact, I much prefer it online, so developers will always get the latest documentation.

0 Likes

Writing the documentation in CHM format is not only easy, but because it’s HTML, you can generate it in pure HTML files and not in the compiled format that we’re familiar with. This provides us with the “best of both”.

Like I said, I’m happy to write examples for each function, along with a proper description, return values, parameters etc.

0 Likes

Nice code sublimator, could be useful for the CHM format.

You’re right, Getting Started is in need of a definite re-write.

0 Likes

There are a few around. I didn’t really find any nice ones though, I just use what I can find.

0 Likes

[quote=“sublimator”]I actually don’t mind chm, I use it for python std lib reference.
[/quote]

Nice!! This will help me learn Ruby :smile:

0 Likes

Since Ruby has different help files for its stdlib and its core, I had to do a few modifications to make it look up the keyword in each candidate (only shows on success). It’s slower though.

0 Likes

7yP0?

0 Likes