Sublime Forum

Build in FTP

I love the simplicity of Notepad++ but I also enjoy the use of Sublime. However the main key feature that seems to be missing here is FTP client. Its much easier to update files in a program and have them pushed to the server via FTP and all is required of me is to refresh the window to see changes. I dont find this much use with HTML but when you work with PHP, JSP or ASP its a major game changer to see dynamic pages and there code updated. Sure you can run your own server but as a Linux user its not easy for me to run IIS8 under virtual environment.

I hope this feature is added with time, as it would make development so much easier and deploying updated content a breeze instead of having to manually re-upload them with FTP client. Thankfully Linux can bind a server as a folder and ones you re-save the file its uploaded to the Server. But not all versions of Linux support this, sad enough it was removed in Ubuntu 13.04

0 Likes

Isn’t there already a plugin for this? Dunno if such a feature should really go into the core of ST - what I really like about this App is that it seems to very focused to code editing, and I would personally prefer if the authors would allocate their ressources for improving that even more in the first place (like better code folding for example) than rather adding features which are only complementary in my opinion.

0 Likes

While it really isn’t a GUI FTP client, it comes quite close: wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp

Hope this helps. :smile:

0 Likes

+1 for SFTP plugin for this.

Also, the feature is still in Ubuntu 13.04. You just need to do Ctrl + L in the file viewer, then do “sftp://username@host” and possibly append the path too “sft://user@host/path/to/entry” and you’ll have it after authenticating.

0 Likes