Sublime Forum

ST3: can't insert text in Vintage insert mode

I’m using ST 3, Build 3033, but this issue has been going on since I switched to ST 3.

Every hour of coding or so, Vintage gets into some odd state where it will not insert text in Insert mode. I’d press ‘i’, the text on the bottom status panel says ‘INSERT MODE’, but every key I press will get interpreted as command (d will delete line etc.)

This seem to be buffer specific. If I switch to another open file, everything works correctly. The only way out, is to save the file, close the tab and reopen it.

I’m not sure how to debug this. What other information can be useful?

0 Likes

ST3 Bug: view.settings() gets wonky
[ST 3] Freezing of any input with Vintageous

If you go to command mode (press Escape) and then go into insert mode again (press i), does it work?

0 Likes

No, this doesn’t help. No matter how many times I try to get in and out of insert mode, it interprets whatever keys I hit as commands. Is there anything I can do to debug?

0 Likes

Hmm… Could you post any info that might be helpful?

Like steps to reproduce. Your OS etc.

0 Likes

This happens to me after using it for a while. I don’t know what triggers it, but it can take an hour of normal usage. I’m on OSX, running sublime text 3. I had a two windows open split vertically.

It won’t exit command mode in just that one file. Other files work fine. Closing the file and opening it again fixes the problem for a while.

0 Likes

@Eduan, it doesn’t happen regularly, but frequently enough to be annoying. Like @Seanhess I am also on Mac OS X and work with a two column layout.

0 Likes

I see, well I can’t really offer any help since right now I’m not using Vintage mode and I don’t have any Mac at hand…

0 Likes

Shameless plug ahead!

You can try Vintageous instead if you’re using S3. It should work better than Vintage now:

guillermooo.bitbucket.org/Vintageous/

0 Likes

Shameless plug indeed! :smile:

I’ve tried it about two months ago (and even reported a missing feature that you promptly resolved: github.com/guillermooo/Vintageous/issues/152)

I can’t remember what made me go back to Vintage, so I’ve just re-installed and will try again and report.

P.S. Glad to see VintageousEx got merged in.

0 Likes