Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

User interface suggestions

User interface suggestions

Postby hansifer on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:31 pm

I put together an interactive UI mock-up comprising some ideas for simplifying/updating the overall ST user interface:

http://hansifer.github.io/sublimeTextUIProposal/

Feedback welcome.

Cheers,
Hans
hansifer

Re: User interface suggestions

Postby svenax on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 pm

I know that a picture says more than a thousand words, but could you please add a few words as well to elaborate on what you mean?

I understand the path bar, and that is something I'd like to see as well. The side bar, status bar, and mini map looks just like the existing ones, or am I missing something? Putting the menu bar inside the window breaks the UI guidelines for all platforms so I don't agree with that.
svenax

Postby hansifer on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 am

I see what you mean. I'll add more info. In the meantime, can you provide references to the "UI guidelines for all platforms" that you're referring to?
hansifer

Postby hansifer on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:54 pm

The obvious difference is moving the tabs to the top, but overall I was trying to come up with something visually simpler and more cohesive that makes better use of real-estate, mostly by adjusting the placement and visual parity of the different UI areas and eliminating as many non-practical visual elements as possible. Currently (in Windows at least), the status bar, menu bar, side bar, title bar, and tabs/content areas each have a distinct style.

The UI is already very good and much better than any other editor/IDE I've seen, but it could be even better with a few relatively subtle visual adjustments that have a big impact on UX IMO. Granted, these adjustments do not necessarily translate into a correspondingly subtle implementation effort, so even if there WERE an interest from ST to improve the application's UX, I'm not pinning my hopes on that happening.
hansifer

Postby Juje007 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:56 pm

I personally like the Side Bar but I'm not a big fan of the menu because Ubuntu and Mac have this build in in the Global Menu bar.
But for operating systems like Windows this could be a nice feature.
And if you want the file path you can just right click the file and copy it so I do not see a need for that.

But other than it is a nice new UI look :).
Juje007

Postby hansifer on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Agreed. I failed to mention that my intention is not to force a window-level menu bar in OS's that make use of a global menu bar. In those cases, that area could be used for other things (eg, the file path) or just permanently hidden.
hansifer

Postby Juje007 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:23 pm

hansifer wrote:Agreed. I failed to mention that my intention is not to force a window-level menu bar in OS's that make use of a global menu bar. In those cases, that area could be used for other things (eg, the file path) or just permanently hidden.

Ok than I completely like this idea for the UI :).
I hope jps will see this and take inspiration of this ;).
Juje007

Postby Freakmeister on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Can you please add a side pannel with all snippets, so I can just click on them to insert? I'm using Komodo Edit now just because of this feature, but it's very glitchy and I would definitely switch to Sublime Text if you add this feature too. It looks like this in Komodo:

Freakmeister

Postby Evoken on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Don't really see the need for a snippets sidebar. You can easily and quickly add snippets into your documents using the Command Palette (Shift+Command+P) and due to fussy searching you can find the snippet you want rather fast, as opposed to digging for them through folders on a sidebar.

With regards to the user interface, I would like to see Sublime implement the tabs in the same way that Chrome does it, I think it would make Sublime look sleeker and the custom themes would also be able to encompass the whole UI, like in Chrome.
Evoken

Postby jbrooksuk on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:10 pm

I like the tabs, but I don't like that the sidebar inherits the tint colour.
jbrooksuk

Next

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests