Sublime Forum

Show tabs on the side option

I’d like for there to be an option to show all Sublime Edit 2 tabs as a list on the left-hand side of the Window. This would be better for managing the program with 10, 20 or 30 tabs open at a time. A longer file name would be visible. I also believe that this list should be sortable by access time, alphabetically, etc. or by folder hierarchy.

I frequently work with about 20 tabs open at once, and the small tabs make it difficult to differentiate between them.

0 Likes

Vertical Tab Bar

1 Like

Oh my god. :open_mouth:

0 Likes

Unlike tabs, though, you can’t drag them into new windows…

0 Likes

Yes. I think there could be more done to the sidebar. I think more options could be added to the right-click context menu for items in the sidebar.

Options such as: “Open in new window”, and “Open file location”.

0 Likes

Interestingly you can open file location by first opening the file and then right-clicking on the view instead… I’m not sure why.

0 Likes

I think a better solution would be to do what Eclipse does… it shows only a maximum number of tabs that will be legible and usable given the space available. If more open files exist than the number of tabs that can fit, it puts the additional tabs in a menu on the right side of the tab bar. Files that are inactive (not been edited in a while) end up in the menu, but will return to the tab bar when you select them. Not only is this a good UI, but it’s also something that A LOT of developers already know from using Eclipse.

I agree… the tab bar in Sublime Text 2 is terrible after you get too many open files. I also typically have 20-30 open files, and if there’s one thing I would fix, it would be this!!!

0 Likes

A good solution is to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+P. It shows a vertical menu of all filenames (tabs), where you can see each tab’s full title name, and also search the titles quickly by typing part of its name, and switch to it, or just browse up and down the list.

0 Likes

Is there still no way to have vertical tabs? I’m trying to look at Sublime again (have had a license since 2020), but even the newest builds still don’t have a choice on tab placement (IntelliJ and Visual Studio have had vertical tabs for years. Atom can with some themes but it’s no longer maintained. VSCode does not at all without patching).

The open files thing really just isn’t the same as a dedicated vertical tab bar on the right (or left). This feature would be a huge usability improvement.

0 Likes

You are correct, except for the list of open files (which is a vertical tab list styled as a list), there is no way to list tabs on the side.

0 Likes