Sublime Forum

Subscribing to forums/posts

Usually on forums there is a way to subscribe via email to be notified of new topics and/or replies. I can see an (empty) subscriptions page in the User Control Panel here but I can’t figure out how to actually subscribe to stuff?

Are subscriptions disabled on here or am I missing something obvious?

0 Likes

Subscribe topic?

The other reason is that I’m not keen to spend the time administering an email server - hopefully you’ll appreciate the extra features in Sublime Text in lieu of emails from the forum :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I understand your decision about spending time on an email server. What about adding an RSS plugin to the forum? Then there would be some form of subscription possible.

0 Likes

Touché. What is your stance on the volunteer angle though? Sounds like you have some willing hands around here.

0 Likes

One workaround for users here might be to generate RSS feeds using Page2RSS, a third party service that scrapes web pages and publishes RSS feeds when updates are detected.

Since there is no way to link to the last page of a phpBB thread, Page2RSS has to be instructed to monitor threads sorted by date in descending order by including sd=d in the thread’s query string. view=print must be added to prevent Page2RSS from monitoring the “Who is online” section at the bottom of every page.

To help automate things, I’ve modified the bookmarklet provided on the Page2RSS homepage to include the custom query string and automatically open the RSS feed in Google Reader. Here it is, nearly untested, provided for your convenience:

javascript:(function(){if(!window.page2rss_bookmark_urlr)window.page2rss_bookmark_urlr=function(ur){if(ur.error)alert(ur.error);if(ur.page&&ur.page.feed)location.href='http://fusion.google.com/add?feedurl='+encodeURIComponent(ur.page.feed)};var r=document.getElementById('urlFormRequest');if(r)r.parentNode.removeChild(r);r=document.createElement('script');r.id='urlFormRequest';r.type='text/javascript';r.src='http://page2rss.com/api/page?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href+'&start=0&sd=d&view=print')+'&callback=page2rss_bookmark_urlr';document.body.appendChild(r);})();

I couldn’t figure out a way to link to it here using BBCode, so instead I’ve posted it on this ad-overrun website: http://marklets.com/Subscribe+to+Sublime+Forum+topic+in+Google+Reader.aspx

0 Likes

Email servers don’t have to be hard. CommuniGate Pro is world class, and is administered completely through a web interface. The community version supports up to 5 accounts and is free. I just set it up on my server, it was drop dead easy. If you are interested in installing it on your server, I would be glad to help. It could easily be configured to only distribute mail from localhost, so you don’t have to worry about spam.

0 Likes

I’d appreciate a notification system, too. It’s pretty much standard for forums and you are sure to get plenty of help with setting up a simple email server.

0 Likes

Is this the reason there’s no ability to have a password reset as well?

0 Likes

Hi JPS - have you considered having the mail server administered by Google Apps free single user edition? Then all you have to do is tell phpBB the google app smtp server address. Very easy.
techwalls.com/news/register-free … ngle-user/

0 Likes

Even mailing from php is normally possible from any shared host without the need of mail-server configuration.

I think subscribing and password resetting is a must for a forum.

An external forum (like disqus which was mentioned) would be another good solution although I’m not sure on costs.

Plus one on subscribing feature

0 Likes

So what IS the solution to subscribing to questions/posts?

Not that I’ll get a response :slight_smile: … sorta circular logic I guess. And yes, the FAQ is wrong.

0 Likes

I use this:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … e-scanner/

0 Likes