Sublime Forum

Opening a temp File

Hi all

My name is Christian Zumbrunnen, I’m from Switzerland and I mainly teach on WordPress and other Webtools and general computer skills.
I’m also working for a hosting provider in Switzerland and manage it’s website.

I’m new to sublime text and have not yet digged in deeply.

One frequent use case is. that I want to open a text editor to copy some text in it that I need to copy back into certain fields in a web application.
(I know that’s not a use case without potential to get better, but this is non-negotiable :wink:

As this situation occurs often while I’m editing a lot of files in sublime text, my default way of opening a new empty tab to paste everything in it is suboptimal.

Would it be better to create a project for recurring temp-use and in situations where I need to do something like open this project or is there a shortcut to open an empty file in a new instance.

The file doesn’t need to be saved after I finished. But how I did it until now such a file became an unsaved file in my existing project which was confusing and potentially error-prone.

I’m sure there is a very obvious way to do it better as I did.

Any hints and tips?

0 Likes

File -> New Windows (Ctrl+Shift+N) or Project -> Close Project (no default key binding, but can be assigned by using the “close_workspace” command).

In the latter case you can switch back to your project with Project -> Quick Switch Project (Ctrl+Alt+P). This will prompt you to save or discard your temp file.

0 Likes