Sublime Forum

Making Windows Sublime Look Like Mac

I’ve seen similar threads like this around the internet,
but not one using the words I would use to ask the question:

Is there any way to make my windows version of sublime text 2 have the same font style as mac.
The mac version (like on the front page of sublimetext.com) has a much nicer and full “bold-like”
text. Windows sublime text tends to look much more narrow and thin. From what I’ve read it appears
that this has a lot to do with different font rendering between mac and windows – but is there anyway
to get the same appearance on windows?

I’ve tried fonts like Meslo that are supposed to mimic mac, but I still don’t get the heavier font-weight I’m looking for.
Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Hello,

I think this is what you are looking for. Add the following to your preferences file.

"font_options": "gray_antialias"]

It’s interesting because adding this line on Mac seems to disable the “bold-like” font (where it is enabled by default) and adding this line on Windows seems to enable the “bold-like” font (where it is disabled by default).

1 Like

Wow! That was exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

0 Likes

[quote=“ttctoonfreak4eva”]Wow! That was exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you so much for the quick reply![/quote]

can you post a screenshot of result ? Because when I tried as riddler12 suggested, the result is ugly :frowning:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Db3gvzvGvDI/UcHLLS8vbcI/AAAAAAAAAHM/oSn0GoLbqNk/w662-h399-no/6-19-2013+10-13-39+PM.png

0 Likes

Yeah, mine looks the same at font size 11, I switched to 13 – my preferred.

Unfortunately it looks a bit choppy.

EDIT: Fixed the problem by doing something most people might not be comfortable with – I installed GDIpp which
replaces windows default font rendering. To be honest, this makes my whole machine look better!
Settings: (Consolas, size 13, bold)

1 Like

I’ve used MacType Tray for the past several months. Like GDIpp it replaces the windows font renderer and text looks so much more readable. Sublime looks amazing with it!

The only problem was that the instructions and everything were in chinese. But I think I’ll try GDIpp.

0 Likes

MacType is a fork of GDIpp. It seems to be fairly better, but it’s closed source (I’ve emailed the project maintainer about obtaining the source). The Chinese installer (etc.) bug is something I’ve encountered as well, but once you get it installed it should be pretty smooth sailing. I’m actually fine with the font rendering in Sublime Text with the setting “font_options”:“directwrite”] set, though. I much prefer to use the Terminus and Anonymous Pro fonts to Menlo and Consolas, however.

1 Like

If you use an high dpi screen (like a laptop with a fullhd display) also DirectWrite is ugly, MacType has support for more languages but sometimes it chooses as default chinese and not english and you have to switch it by yourself. I’m using it from months and some times ago I submitted a translation for my language (not yet published by the author since not yet released an update in this period). Anyway, after you configure it, you can select Registry mode to load and forget about it. I agree that the project seems closed-source since no source-code can be found.

0 Likes

How can I add your code to my preference file?? What is a preference file?? Please help. I also have the same problem as ttctoonfreak4eva.

0 Likes

here i am providing some steps for making windows sublime look like mac
Visit the GDIPP project site.
Download the latest version from the left sidebar.
Run the downloaded installer file.
Done!

2 Likes