Sublime Forum

My main gripes about ST (potential options/features)

I’ve had a few minor annoyances with Sublime. I’ve looked around and no one else seems to have problems with these things… so I signed up to actually post about it, and hopefully these could get made into options instead of default behaviour?

Child windows not closing when tabs are removed

Start with this, drag a new tab to make this, and then drag that second tab back into its origin window, leaving you with this. This is incredibly annoying behaviour, since I have to close the second window manually… and after a lot of accidental (sometimes my cpu hangs when switching tabs) dragging out of a window, it adds up. In that same vein… Is it possible to lock tabs to a certain bar to prevent them from being dragged out? I suppose this would be an acceptable alternative, though I think both in tandem would be better than one or the other.

Ctrl+Shift+W closes the program, not all of the tabs
When I want to close a lot of tabs quickly, I use ctrl+shift+w… but instead of closing the tabs, it closes sublime. I’d really just like an option to say “no, don’t close sublime, just close all of my tabs.”

Hopefully I’m not the only one who thinks this!

0 Likes

1. I agree. This is slightly annoying, but I feel the solution should be instead for Sublime Text to close the window if its last and only tab is dragged off and onto another window. Google Chrome uses this behavior, so you can never have a window with an empty state (no tabs).

Another related detail is that dragging tabs from a project creates a new window with no opened project. I would assume this is because you can only have one window per project. I’m not sure if this is undesirable to most people, but I thought it should be mentioned.

1. There is a Close All Files menu item under File. If there is a way to hook a key command to this action, I’ve love to hear about it, but I haven’t looked very hard.
0 Likes

Child Windows: Did you try the following option?

"close_windows_when_empty": true,

Default is:

// Set to true to close windows as soon as the last file is closed, unless // there's a folder open within the window. This is always enabled on OS X, // changing it here won't modify the behavior. "close_windows_when_empty": false,

0 Likes

I use "close_windows_when_empty": true, but that only handles the case of closing the last tab in a window. It doesn’t handle the case when that last tab is dragged into another window.

0 Likes

[quote=“layne”]Child Windows: Did you try the following option?

"close_windows_when_empty": true,

Default is:

// Set to true to close windows as soon as the last file is closed, unless // there's a folder open within the window. This is always enabled on OS X, // changing it here won't modify the behavior. "close_windows_when_empty": false,[/quote]

Yes, I have tried this. As icylace said, this doesn’t solve the problem.

0 Likes