Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Function List

Function List

Postby thismarty on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:26 pm

It seems like this feature keeps popping up on the forums and elsewhere as one folks would like to see but it still doesn't appear to be in ST2 or the beta for ST3.

A list of dropdown or otherwise-invokable functions or function sidebar or anything like that would be so very good.

Any chance it will arrive eventually?
thismarty

Re: Function List

Postby adzenith on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 pm

It sounds like you're looking for either cmd+r or cmd+shift+p. If neither of those, then I'm not sure what you're asking for.
adzenith

Postby Markus Daum on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:47 pm

I think what he's asking for is a way to display a list of all function names at the same time, not a way to search for them. Like in UltraEdit (or most other good code editors!) for example:
http://myego.cz/img/ultraedit/function-list.png

Ideally this "function list" should have the following features:
- you could display the list sorted alphabetically or alternatively in the order in which the functions appear in the file
- clicking on one of the function names in the function list takes you to that function in the code view (only in the view that's currently active of course)
- if the current cursor position in the code view is inside a function, the corresponding function name is highlighted in the function list (so you always know what function code you are currently viewing, without having to scroll around in the code to find the function declaration)

Of course this "function list" could (should) be extended to an "object list" in the long run, to show not only function names but also class names, method names and potentially even variable names.

As much as I love what I have seen from Sublime Text so far and as much as I would like to switch to it, not having access to such a feature is a complete showstopper for me. :shock:

Cheers,
-Markus
Markus Daum

Postby layne on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Isn't it possible to solve this using a package?
The package can open a new buffer side by side . Read only containing the list.
It's interactive like the Find in Files function, so a click will bring you to the function.
// my Blog //
layne

Postby bizoo on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Markus Daum wrote:I think what he's asking for is a way to display a list of all function names at the same time, not a way to search for them. Like in UltraEdit (or most other good code editors!) for example:
http://myego.cz/img/ultraedit/function-list.png

I never found the usefulness of having a list of methods always displayed in my editor.
Take some of my editing space and unpractical to use.

Markus Daum wrote:- you could display the list sorted alphabetically or alternatively in the order in which the functions appear in the file

Goto Symbol (ctrl(cmd)+r) display the list in apparition order, you can easily create a plugin if you want something similar in a more customized way (like sorting).
Markus Daum wrote:- clicking on one of the function names in the function list takes you to that function in the code view (only in the view that's currently active of course)

Navigate in the Goto Symbol list to preview the code, hit ENTER to go to it or ESC to return to your starting point.
Way more efficient than using the mouse to select in a function list.
Markus Daum wrote:- if the current cursor position in the code view is inside a function, the corresponding function name is highlighted in the function list (so you always know what function code you are currently viewing, without having to scroll around in the code to find the function declaration)

When running Goto Symbol, the item located before your cursor is highlighted, so normally it's the current method your are editing.
Hit ESC to return to your edit point.

Markus Daum wrote:As much as I love what I have seen from Sublime Text so far and as much as I would like to switch to it, not having access to such a feature is a complete showstopper for me.

There are so many powerful features in ST, I can imagine this feature be a showstopper for someone.
bizoo

Postby bizoo on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:09 pm

layne wrote:Isn't it possible to solve this using a package?
It's interactive like the Find in Files function, so a click will bring you to the function.

Something like that ?
https://github.com/noraesae/ClassHierarchy
bizoo

Postby layne on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:24 am

bizoo wrote:

Something like that ?

Yes ;)
// my Blog //
layne

Postby Markus Daum on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:24 pm

bizoo wrote:I never found the usefulness of having a list of methods always displayed in my editor.
Take some of my editing space and unpractical to use.

No, me neither. That's why I prefer to have the whole thing collapsable, like in jedit for example:
expanded view:
http://i41.tinypic.com/mky9lz.jpg

collapsed view:
http://i43.tinypic.com/s1qc10.jpg

bizoo wrote:Goto Symbol (ctrl(cmd)+r) display the list in apparition order, you can easily create a plugin if you want something similar in a more customized way (like sorting).

bizoo wrote:Navigate in the Goto Symbol list to preview the code, hit ENTER to go to it or ESC to return to your starting point. Way more efficient than using the mouse to select in a function list.

bizoo wrote:When running Goto Symbol, the item located before your cursor is highlighted, so normally it's the current method your are editing.
Hit ESC to return to your edit point.

Nice. I like it. If anyone can figure out now how to sort this list alphabetically and maybe even expand it across the whole screen estate, I think I'm sold! :)

bizoo wrote:There are so many powerful features in ST, I can imagine this feature be a showstopper for someone.

(Bad) habits you know... :oops: and having to work on a project with about 13.000 lines of code and about 250 functions in a single file (yes, I know), you think twice of leaving everything behind and diving into something new if it misses (or at least seems to miss) one of your favourite features, no matter how awesome the rest might be...

Anyway, thanks for the great answer!
Markus Daum

Postby Markus Daum on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:28 pm

bizoo wrote:

Something like that ?

This looks very promising... would it be possible to open this not in a buffer but maybe in a transient floating window (à la "Goto Symbol") instead somehow?

Thanks!
Markus Daum

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests