Sublime Forum

SublimeGit: Git plugin for ST2 and ST3

This plugin has been in development for almost a year, and was just recently ported to Sublime Text 3. It features an alternative take on integrating git into Sublime Text, inspired by great projects such as fugitive (for vim) and magit (for emacs). It works on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

There are screenshots, documentation and installation instructions on https://sublimegit.net.

It’s a commercial plugin, which has allowed me to spend a lot of time refining it based on early user feedback, as well as provide great support. I’m charging 10 € for a personal license which is good for both Sublime Text 2 and 3, on all the platforms. There’s also a free and unlimited trial, which doesn’t require a license.

Not seeing your favourite feature? Get in touch on twitter (@SublimeGit) or mail (support at sublimegit.net) and let me know. Feedback is very welcome!

0 Likes

In the time since this announcement was posted, some major features have been added:

• Staging individual hunks
  • From any diff view it is now possible to stage individual changes. Only want to stage that one method and leave all your other changes alone? No problem.
  • Git commit --amend
  • Support for amending commit messages.
  • License popup
  • By popular request, the frequency of the license popup was lowered.
  • Bug Fixes
  • A ton of bugfixes.
0 Likes

I think miped’s concept and implementation is a really interesting one. I’d normally use a command line (on OS X and sometimes Windows 7) for my Git work – mainly because the GUI clients I’ve tried seem heavy and sometimes weak. I’m new enough to Git at the CLI that the idea caught me at just the right moment. It’s a non-modal and non-intrusive interface without the cascading menus that would be the more common approach to the interaction problem. The plugin opens a ST tab and just sort of reports and waits while you work on a project. Single key presses update changed files to the index, commit the index, etc. I sense that the plugin may know what file you want to manipulate from the cursor’s position in this tab, but my use is too new to really let me talk at that level of detail. For those of us old (or nuts) enough to be any good with VI(M), this feels a bit like that way of working.

Anyway, I commend the author’s efforts. miped’s turned ST’s “weak” interaction style into an asset, like a good designer turns a challenging stage into an opportunity. “Don’t complain; make the most of what you’ve got to work with.” :wink:

I’ve decided the plugin’s worth its cost, so that will make it my second paid plugin.

0 Likes

I guess I should add to this thread that I have also purchased this plugin and am using it as my primary quick-commit goto git client. Once you get used to the status display and shortcuts, it’s amazingly fast to work with. The author was also super-quick to respond to my feature requests by email and they were implemented within a few days.

I like the concept of paid plugins as they give those writing them a bit more motivation to keep them fresh and updated.

I do find some commands a bit slow to execute, but I guess my git repo is quite large, and believe the delay is equal to what I see when running the similar git commands from command line. Would be nice to make it async, maybe, to alleviate locking the whole of ST while git commands are run.

0 Likes

Can’t get it working, freezes after push and pull, what i’m doing wrong? windows 7 sublime 3

0 Likes

Hi rooc. Sorry for the late response.

SublimeGit cannot handle passphrases or having to enter username/password when pushing or pulling, so that’s probably what makes it hang. Please see here: docs.sublimegit.net/quickstart. … figuration

The reason is pretty simple: AFAIK there is no secure way to obtain a password input through the ST2/3 api.

0 Likes