Sublime Forum

Finishing documentation

Seeing that Sublime Text is a commercial product, when can we expect the documentation to be completed?

0 Likes

Agreed. Lack of documentation is the main reason that’s preventing me from buying a copy of SublimeText.

Documentation is vital since it insures that:

1. I can completely customize the editor to suite my needs.
  2. I can write plug-ins when needed.
  3. More people will write plugins meaning there’s a better chance of adding functionality that I need.
  4. If something is impossible to do with Sublime I’ll know it and not waste time trying or hoping the documentation will come one day. Also I can evaluate better if Sublime can perform what I need it to do.

I would say that documentation is much more important than adding features (for example I would have preferred to have complete documentation rather than a faster startup)

Another reason that might prevent me from buying sublime might be plugin compatibility between ST2 and ST3, but that worries me less.

0 Likes

There is pretty complete documentation about writing plugins available at sublimetext.com/docs/3/api_reference.html.

Additionally, there are around 1,500 different open source packages out there that you can use as a guide for creating your own package.

0 Likes

There’s also a bunch of unofficial documentation here: docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/ and the quality is actually quite good.

In addition there are a couple of ebooks already out, which may be interesting:
leanpub.com/sublime-productivity
it-ebooks.info/book/1810/

0 Likes

[quote=“wbond”]There is pretty complete documentation about writing plugins available at sublimetext.com/docs/3/api_reference.html.

Additionally, there are around 1,500 different open source packages out there that you can use as a guide for creating your own package.[/quote]

Thanks for the reference. This is good to have, but certainly not enough.
SublimeText still needs very detailed and complete documentation.

0 Likes

Thanks for the references. It’s always useful to have more information.

[quote=“miped”]There’s also a bunch of unofficial documentation here: docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/ and the quality is actually quite good.
[/quote]

I’ve used this when I wrote some plugins and tweaked sublime and honestly I have to say I found it lacking in detail and incomplete.

This is still incomplete (and costs $20). Once it’s complete remains to be seen how useful it would be.

[quote=“miped”]
it-ebooks.info/book/1810/[/quote]

This is more of a general introduction if you’ve never used sublime before, but but gives only the most general information.

For sublime to succeed it needs complete documentation.
If you poke around sublime you already see settings, files, structures, API calls, system variables and other such constructs that the programmer has already developed and they work. You can use them and they work if you know the right way. But most of it is not documented.

This can even be built as a wiki and will be fast and easy to do with the help of sublime users, but the developer has the most knowledge so he needs to be willing to share and start the ball rolling :wink:

Post here if you know of more Sublime reference sources.

0 Likes

That’s hilarious. They want real money for this and can’t be arsed to document it. Plonk.

0 Likes