Sublime Forum

If no one can help me, I'm deleting my ST license

:imp:

I thought I made a good investment when I purchased my ST 2/3 license some weeks ago.
I’d only tried it out on my mac doing some simple Python, and it looked awesome.

But then I started using it for other purposes. If I wanted a Python only editor / IDE I’d go for PyCharm.
I need some pretty basic functionality (imho) up and running on Linux and Windows or else I’ll give away my license and put an evil spell on the ST developer team.

I’m a Emacs user and I’m used to setting things up before it works, but in Emacs things actually do work!
This is the list of tasks I perform easily in Emacs, and if they’re not easy to solve in ST, I’ll gladly go back to Emacs, burning ST using a virtual flamethrower programmed in C++ in Emacs. :open_mouth:

1. I need to be able to write code in C++ and Python WITH automatic code completion and the ability to specify a build system / toolchain to use for C++ without knowing the internals of JSON or anything else for that matter. The “code completion” I have now is awful (I’ve installed CodeIntel, + +) and is more annoying than usable. Also I need a Code Snippet system that works.

2. I need to be able to use relative paths for setting up projects so I can use the same projects on Windows/Mac/Linux via Dropbox

3. I need the god damned Open Terminal Here plugin to work. I need to be able to right click a folder / file or issue a command with a file open to launch a shell / terminal. Right now the options are “grayed out” in the menu.

Right now I HATE Sublime Text 2 & 3 and I really regret purchasing the license.

Please, if anyone could tell me how to set up my requirements, I’d be forever grateful.

0 Likes

1. Depending on what kind of code completion you want, ST may not be the editor for you. You can configure build systems, but you need to know JSON. So again, ST may not be the editor for you. I don’t know what you mean by “code snippet system” needs to work. It works fine for me. Perhaps you have something setup incorrectly?

2. You can set up projects with relative paths. Below is a test project I created with ST. Again, you need to know a small amount of JSON.

[code]{
“folders”:

{
		"follow_symlinks": true,
		"path": "."
	}
]

}
[/code]

1. I don’t know what terminal plugin you using so can’t help there. There are probably errors in the console that would help explain it though.

If you are dead set on not learning JSON (which quite honestly should be very fast), then ST may not be the right editor for you.

0 Likes

I like using R on ST2 2.0.1 very much. Just do not know what happened to 2.0.2. I will regret if I have to switch to another
editor.

0 Likes

I had been working for several days with almost no sleep when I posted this, so excuse the harsh tome.
ST is indeed a very good and highly configurable editor. Maybe too configurable.

But that is because of the plugins and not the core package.

JSON should take me an hour to get a grasp on, I mean, I program in C++, C# and Python, the first two for a living.

What I’ll do is to start with learning Sublime Text without many plugins installed, plus learn some JSON syntax.

Then I’ll take it from there.

Chris

:wink:

0 Likes

I don’t think that learning json will cost more than 5 minutes: json.org/
It’s one of the easiest data-interchange formats.

And in my personal opinion definitively the best.
And yeah which IDE comes full featured without the need of learning anything?
You always have to learn something to improve the workflow and get the most of it.

So just give it a try it’s not that hard.

0 Likes