Sublime Forum

Drag selection?

In other editors I can select a chunk of text, click that selection and hold down the mouse button, and drag that chunk to another location in the same document. I can’t do that in Sublime Text, unless there’s a trick to it I’m not seeing.

0 Likes

There is no trick. I’m missing it, too. :cry:

0 Likes

I’d like to see this as well; hopefully it would not be too much trouble to implement.

0 Likes

Personally I hate this behaviour, it does not seem intuitive to me wrt normal mouse text-selection behaviour. So please make it optional! :smile:

0 Likes

You can do this using the keyboard.
Just select text, the hit ctrl+shift+up/down (I think).

I don’t know a way to do this using the mouse, but I’m also afriad that it will be unintuitive.

0 Likes

Personally, I’ve always found that feature annoying; it’s easy to accidentally release the mouse button and then chaos ensues.

For me “search” + “keyboard selection” + “cut” + “search/go back to bookmark/etc to go destination” is always much faster and reliable.

0 Likes

At least on my old pc navigating in sublime text using the keyboard is relative slow for some file types with a komplex tmLanguage definition. Moving 30 lines up and 5 words right takes a while using the cursor keys.

At this occasions clicking and dragging with the mouse is much faster, especially on my new megasized monitor.

0 Likes

Hi,

I’m new to Sublime Text and absolutely loving the clean UI. Yet after an hour or so I stumbled over the fact that dragging text didn’t work (which is, let’s say, a bit surprising for a commercial text editor). Is this on the cards for the next version?

Thanks,

Michael

0 Likes

It’s not because it’s a commercial text editor that Jon as to include every crappy function from other text editor… Your remark is really uncalled for.
I don’t think that drag selection is in the philosophy of this application, but it’s Jon (amazing) works and I will not allow myself to answer for him.

[quote="_ michael"]Yet after an hour or so I stumbled over the fact that dragging text didn’t work (which is, let’s say, a bit surprising for a commercial text editor). Is this on the cards for the next version?
[/quote]

0 Likes

I like to see Sublime as a platform to build your tailor-made editor, so I’m generally against cramming it full of features. In particular, I don’t miss dragging text around in the least, but that’s just an opinion. I’m just making sure it’s voiced here. :wink:

0 Likes

+1… Another person who misses the drag feature for moving blocks of code around in a document. But yes Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down seems to be the next best thing.

Simon.

0 Likes

Count me as another person that absolutely hates it when selections can be dragged with the mouse. For me it is totally counter-intuitive behavior and I have only succeeded in accidentally moving text with this “feature”.

That said, everyone is different and I can imagine that this feature might be very intuitive and helpful for someone else. If this functionality is added, I would suggest using it along with a modifier key. So, for example, you could only drag a selection if you are holding down the ctrl key at the same time. Also, please add an option for people to be able to disable it.

0 Likes

Yes. I’m a convert from TextMate (I wish TextMate were cross-plat), I use the hell out of a click-drag selection on a daily basis for quick edits. I can guess as to why there might be issues with implementing this cross-platform.

I use it so much, though, it’s actually the main reason I cite for not actually purchasing Sublime Text 2 currently. Might seem trivial, but it’s really been an annoyance for me.

0 Likes

Like some others, I don’t miss click ‘n’ drag within the editor. But… I sort of miss it between applications. I’ve been tripped up a couple times on this, but in the end it’s not a huge deal, especially since cut ‘n’ paste usually works just as well.

0 Likes

Drag and drop text with mouse

+1 for drag selection

0 Likes

+1 for drag selection.
I’ve been using this on a Mac and when I have another program that called drop zone that allows me to drag text and it’s automatically sent to pastie.org. Extremely handy when working on Textmate. This would be a huge plus for me to make the switch completely.

0 Likes

+1 for drag selection

I wish it at least had the option. I like to be able to drag big portions of text around while also having different text saved into the clipboard.

Omitting it from what is otherwise a great app seems a little short-sided.

0 Likes

Consider this another request for drag and drop text movement, which is a standard interface feature on Mac OS X (and has been for a very long time). When I try to drag and drop text and it doesn’t work, it’s a constant reminder that Sublime Text is not a Mac OS X application, and still needs to try harder to work like one.

0 Likes

Yet another +1. I’ve never seen an application that doesn’t support it (even the barebones notepad.exe in older versions of Windows). I use it all the time (I’d guess a dozen times per hour) to avoid overwriting my clipboard contents while moving a bit of code here or there. I know there’s a clipboard history plugin, but that’s just not the same.

0 Likes

Rather than using a modifier key, I think it would be much nicer to have an option in the menu that enables this functionality - one the the points of being able to drag with the mouse is not having to use the keyboard.
Plus, it seems that either a person is accustomed to having this functionality in their text editor or they absolutely hate it - I think it would be fine to have an enable/disable option rather than a modifier key (which would be more suited for those who only like to use it sometimes).

[quote=“jbjornson”]Count me as another person that absolutely hates it when selections can be dragged with the mouse. For me it is totally counter-intuitive behavior and I have only succeeded in accidentally moving text with this “feature”.

That said, everyone is different and I can imagine that this feature might be very intuitive and helpful for someone else. If this functionality is added, I would suggest using it along with a modifier key. So, for example, you could only drag a selection if you are holding down the ctrl key at the same time. Also, please add an option for people to be able to disable it.[/quote]

0 Likes