Sublime Forum

Filter context menu options as you type

Now you can only navigate the context menu with the arrow keys. A filter (similar to the QuickPanel’s) would be great to have.

Some ideas:

Once the options have been narrowed down to say 5 items, you can select them by pressing 1…5. Or maybe cycle through them with TAB.

0 Likes

What do you mean by “context menu”?
Are you talking about the “autocomplete” menu? Cause I keep wishing the autocomplete menu would be built on top of the quickpanel.

0 Likes

That’s right edanm, I’m talking about the autocomplete menu here! The filtering wouldn’t make sense for mouse-driven context menus.

0 Likes

Would something like this work for you? (it will only be triggered inside “]”):

[code]import sublime, sublimeplugin

class CleanupLeftoversCommand(sublimeplugin.TextCommand):
def run(self, view, args):
sel = view.sel()[0]
a, b = sel.begin(), sel.end()
precedingChar = view.substr(sublime.Region(a - 1,a))
if precedingChar == “”:
view.runCommand(“leftDeleteCharacters”)
view.runCommand(“rightDeleteCharacters”)
else:
view.runCommand(“leftDeleteCharacters”)[/code]

<binding key="backspace" command="cleanupLeftovers"> <context name="allFollowingCharacter" value="]" /> </binding>

Just to make sure we’re on the same page!

EDIT: Posted in the wrong place… :confused:

0 Likes

@guillermooo: Is this in reply to the other thread about deleting special chars?

Anyways, about the autocomplete menu, you can probably patch up a plugin which uses the QuickPanel for autocomplete, since there is a function to get the autocompletion options available (extractCompletions(prefix, )).

Basically, you just need to give it the proper word for a prefix, the point it was called from, and pop up a QuickPanel to show the different options. I might cook it up myself next week if I have time (in between the other 3 plugins I’m trying to get through :smile:

0 Likes

Yep, you can use the quick panel too, but the completions menu is less intrusive and can have its uses. Enabling more control of this little menu would be great: styling the contents, for example. That would let us create advanced autocompletion plugins.

But I’m not in a hurry for this.

0 Likes

Yeah I agree, a non-intrusive autocomplete panel is better than using the QuickPanel for everything.

Have you ever seen Eclipse? They have really great auto-complete type menus, with lots of info on each entry (help, etc.).
It would definitely be great if we could style the SublimeText menus a little, add more options to them, to take them to Eclipse’s level.

0 Likes

Exactly! While I wouldn’t like ST to become a bloated full-blown IDE, some features would be nice to have. :wink:

0 Likes