Sublime Forum

Forced updates

Can you please remove the frustrating feature that blocks you from opening sublime and forces you to update, it’s both draconian and has wasted a considerable amount of my time when sublime has refused to open stating it “requires an update to run” when I’ve been away from any connection and in the middle of a big project.

I have purchased a full licence and as such should be able to chose to run and update the software as I wish.

Other then this minor fault Sublime is an awesome editor, it’s just a shame little things like this ruin it for me :frowning:

0 Likes

Why don’t you just… you know, update? :smile:

0 Likes

FWIW only beta versions prior to March 2012 expire for registered users, later versions never expire.

0 Likes

I hope that is the case. The version the expired on me was build 2217, which seems to have been released well after March 2012. I didn’t notice before, but in the 2.0.2 change log:

Version 2.0.2
Release Date: 8 July 2013

Removed expiry date

So it looks like the expiration will be a non-issue in the future (very much to my relief).

0 Likes

I never experienced this in the past, but just now did. What a terrible idea. Please fix this!!!

For those who say “just update”:

• What if I’m at the airport or on a flight?
  • What if I’m at a rest stop on a long drive?
  • What if I’m debugging network adapter drivers in Linux?
  • What if I’m deep in the woods, taking a break from a hike or bike ride?

Sublime Text is the best editor for me. I pay for the license because it’s one of the more useful tools I know of and it lets me forget about the logistics and just get things done. If I have a revelation outside of wifi range, I still want to flesh it out. If I have time at the airport or on a flight, I often like to work on one of my side projects to make the time fly by.

I should never just randomly be unable to use the software because I lost a connection to the internet after it decided that it needed an update.

Less than sublime :confused:

0 Likes

[quote=“bluecamel”]I never experienced this in the past, but just now did. What a terrible idea. Please fix this!!!

For those who say “just update”:

• What if I’m at the airport or on a flight?
  • What if I’m at a rest stop on a long drive?
  • What if I’m debugging network adapter drivers in Linux?
  • What if I’m deep in the woods, taking a break from a hike or bike ride?

Sublime Text is the best editor for me. I pay for the license because it’s one of the more useful tools I know of and it lets me forget about the logistics and just get things done. If I have a revelation outside of wifi range, I still want to flesh it out. If I have time at the airport or on a flight, I often like to work on one of my side projects to make the time fly by.

I should never just randomly be unable to use the software because I lost a connection to the internet after it decided that it needed an update.

Less than sublime :/[/quote]

FWIW:

You should probably report it if you are getting an expired message for a registered version of ST2. I don’t use it, but I started ST2 (2.0.1) without any problem. I just get an “Update is available” message at start up.

0 Likes

It should also be possible to permanently dismiss the update notification. It’s extremely annoying when working with portable, customised installations of sublime - every time it runs, you get the update nag screen with no way to stop it. Updating is not a straightforward process in ST2 if you’ve customised the installation, which I have with one of my portable installs. Updating potentially breaks plugins, so this is something that one might want to do in his/her own time, if at all.

Especially with Sublime 2; The only big “issues” I have with ST2 - that if rectified would inspire me to update - are the inability to hide the Linux menu (same in ST3) and punctuation which breaks across lines on the display (giving the appearance of orphaned full stops at the left edge - fixed in ST3). Neither has been addressed in 2.0.2, so I have no interest in upgrading personally - I’d rather save the hassle for if/when I upgrade those installs to ST3. As an aside, I’ve also read here about possible issues with the upgrade, another reason to delay upgrading.

There should be a setting “update_notifications” set true by default, which can be overridden by the user in the case where s/he does not want the notifications, especially so for paying users.

:smile:

0 Likes

qgates: there is a hidden update_check option which registered users can set to false

0 Likes

Many thanks jps that’s done the trick! :smile:

0 Likes