Sublime Forum

Need help with text input in theme file

Hi,

I was colorizing the Flatland theme with a copy of it’s files. It in turn is based on the Soda theme.

However, whereas the Flatland dark and Soda dark can show “black” backgrounds for the text input, I am stuck with some off white color (around 230 rgb).

I have compared my file to flatland, and even checking each different line I’m not able to solve this.

I have tried to use layer0 tint command – It doesn’t work either. As you’ll see in the photo the layer0 tint colors only the part that the file.png is at. It’s basically a border around the text input which is not correct.

In an attempt to debug this problem I tried pasting my theme code into the Soda file and activating soda dark in my preferences. Even using word for word all my code in the theme file, the text input is still black like it’s supposed to be in soda. So where the heck is this being controlled from? It’s obviously not the theme file and I’d like some help figuring this out, because I am just desperately OCD annoyed at this point.

Here is a link to the image: imgur.com/J4pIRVP

Here is what it looks like when I activate Flatland Dark but having pasted all the code in my .sublime-theme into it’s .sublime-theme: imgur.com/vpyrE4q

Honestly I just don’t get it. And it’s really annoying me. I hope someone can help me out – it’s driving me insane! :smiley: Hahah

0 Likes

I’ve been busy for some time so I would have to recheck but if it could be of any help, check out this gist:
https://gist.github.com/KonTrax/5300769

I will have a look and see if I can find out what I have forgotten.

0 Likes

I forgot to mention that I am actually still on Sublime Text 2. Regardless the table seems to have values that I’ve already fiddled with. And as I have said before that even dropping my entire theme file into the Flatland Dark or Soda Dark theme files will result in coloring the background of the text input the way those files want them to be done. So I’m not sure how this is happening, or what file is controlling this, but I’m starting to think it’s not the theme file – I’ve used a file compare software to check line by line the differences between the Flatland Dark and my theme file.

0 Likes

Change color value in Widgets.stTheme

<key>background</key> <string>#E6E6E6</string>

0 Likes

I feel so stupid. I had already tweaked that file but gave up originally. The change has no effect on my files, but it worked on the flatland dark file when I restarted sublime. So I activated it and noticed extra files that were placed in there and I got it working on mine now too

Key seems to be in the file widget XXX.sublime-settings that pointed to the stTheme file:

{ "color_scheme": "Packages/Theme - Solarized/Light/Widget - Solarized Light.stTheme", "draw_shadows": false }

I did this and I finally finally have it working. I don’t think you know how happy you’ve made me. This kind of crap bothers the hell outta me, haha – Thank you so much and mea culpa for such a stupid mistake that I was making.

0 Likes

Hehe. I do know what you mean, the small things are the worst. More or less the only reason I learn new languages and everything that stands between me and the solutions to those small but o so frustrating “paper-cuts”.

0 Likes

Okay, so I am having this exact problem with ST3 and cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I have my theme working fine, except the input field and console are default light instead of my dark scheme.

I have a file “Widget - Mytheme.sublime-settings” in my theme folder (I’ve also tried putting it in a subfolder). In it, I copied the exact content of the corresponding file from Soda Dark theme “Widget - Soda Dark 3.sublime-theme” . No go. Yes, I’ve restarted.

I know if I modify “Widget - Soda Dark 3.sublime-theme” and point “color_scheme” to a non existing file, ST complains that it cannot find it. When I do that with mine, it does not complain, so It’s not even picking up “Widget - Mytheme.sublime-settings”

Any idea? Thanks in advance

0 Likes

Your file should just be called Widget.sublime-settings I believe, and it should be in your theme folder, and not a subfolder of that.

1 Like

I tried every which way until out of desperation I put the file in Packages/User/ instead of Packages/User/mytheme. Makes no sense, but THAT works! Seems it does not matter if I call it Widget or Widget - mytheme. So what happens if I have multiple themes in Packages/User? I don’t know.

Very weird.

1 Like

I think that Sublime only automatically reads files one level deep in the package folder, so it will read the contents of Packages/User but not Packages/User/Whatever. I can’t remember where exactly I saw that but if I recall correctly (which may be kind of iffy) it has something to do with allowing packages to package extra contents that Sublime will keep its hands off of.

Some searching around may dig up more information; I’m not in a position to try and figure out where I saw that previously at the moment.

1 Like