Sublime Forum

Making(and sharing) a theme

First of all, sorry if I’m in the wrong section. Thought about posting it into the plugins I don’t think a theme falls under the “plugin” category.

Here’s the deal: I have a color scheme to reproduce from an editor I like and i want to make it into Sublime and release it on GitHub so everyone can use it. It’s a dark scheme only.

What are the steps to do in order to make and export a theme so everyone can download and use it? And maybe have it into the Package Control for everyone to one-click install?

Note that i don’t need to change the sidebar, icons, top bars or anything! It’s just a dark scheme and only in the editor section. I’ll release the first version for HTML/CSS only, moving onto Javascript and PHP next so for now i just need one single dark option for the html/css only…I couldn’t find any tutorial or documentation for this :frowning:

0 Likes

Take a look at github.com/netatoo/phoenix-theme. As a side note, the color scheme file colors based on scopes. Scopes are similar to CSS. For example, one scope that exist is “constant.language.python”. Now, you could create a coloring for “constant.language.python” and a different one for say “constant.language.java”. However, you may also apply the same coloring by using the scope “constant.language” in your color scheme file.

I know there are a few different editors out there to do this in more of a visual way rather than editing XML or JSON. I’m sure you could locate them with a search though. If you are going to take the manual approach, I would take a look at existing color scheme files. The structure is the same as TextMate, so you can look up TextMate documentation as well for editing color schemes.

0 Likes

You can use tmTheme-editor to do it: tmtheme-editor.herokuapp.com/

0 Likes

skuorda: i’ve never used TextMate so i don’t know how plugins and themes works there. And yes, if there’s a more visual way it’s better for me because i just need some re-colouring with hexa values and not a total makeover with folders and stuff. I’ll search for some, thank you for the packages guidelines!

wessly: thank you a lot! Just one thing, does that export directly fro TextMate/Sublime? It’s a tm.Theme but i don’t know how to activate that in my Sublime after i exported it. Or, better, i know it goes in the themes folder of Sublime but will it work on its own? Is it Sublime-ready or i need to tweak something?

Also, how to change between css, html, javascript, php and stuff? The one in the link you provided is Javascript but i want to start with the HTML + CSS version and then move onto JS.

EDIT

I tried that theme editor and i can’t figure out how it works. I can’t add in custom html or css code and the color picket it opens is the default Apple one which doesn’t feature hex or rgb values so it’s kinda impossible to work with precise colors.

0 Likes

I only mentioned TextMate because the documentation there may be better than what you can find specifically for ST.

I’ll say hat I know regarding your questions towards wessly also just in case it helps. You don’t need to place it in the Themes folder. I personally have the files in my User folder. ST should find them automatically (assuming they are named correctly. To activate it, go to Preferences -> Color Schemes. From there, you should see a list of packages containing tmTheme files. Don’t know anything about the web app so can’t help there.

0 Likes

Just a question. Is this theme for the Web Developer Bootcamp?

0 Likes