Sublime Forum

ARM build?

Throw another request for an ARM version on the pile. Was really hoping to get ST2 on my Chrubuntu install.

0 Likes

I wrote to the sales team and they say no arm build is planned because the invested time wouldn’t pay of. I hop that as soon as more requests come in they might change their mind.

0 Likes

Let me clarify that statement: Given we only have a finite amount of time, any time spent maintaining an ARM build would take away time from other areas. At this stage, I believe this would result in a net negative to Sublime Text’s users.

0 Likes

Sublime Text for Raspberry Pi 3 with Rasbian OS
Sublime version for ARM Macs
iPad version any time soon?

So after Sublime Text 3 is out, we can hope that an ARM build will see the light of day?

0 Likes

Dear JPS,

I think a arm port would be a nice kickstarter project, if there is enough demand, you will receive quite a sizable financial support to get the arm port done.

And to be frank, with linux, the CPU architecture is a way lower barrier, i don’t think a linux ARM port would take that much of resources.

Regards
Edward

1 Like

Just registered to say that I’m very interested in an ARM build for my new Samsung Chromebook.

That is all.

0 Likes

jps, I hope you’ll reconsider your position on an ARM build. I know several developers who are using Chromebooks, and some who use a Raspberry Pi. All of them were previously ST users but have now had to learn how to use something like Vim or Emacs. The number of users wanting an ARM build might be small now, but with tablets and phones becoming more powerful it’s only a matter of time before people want to start using them as their main dev machine. Ubuntu Touch is a prime example of this movement.

Best regards.

0 Likes

For what it’s worth, geany is an alternative that works on Crouton with Ubuntu installed for Samsung Chromebook Arm. Not Sublime Text, but works.

0 Likes

Also just registered an account to say that an ARM build of Sublime Text 2/3 would be great. I currently have a few devices on which it is impossible to run this program (Raspberry Pi/Chromebook), and with it being closed sourced software it’s not like I can just recompile it.

In my experience it generally is not hard to cross-compile to an extra processor architecture if you’re not doing anything funky either. :cry:

0 Likes

just wanted to say that i also would like to buy a license for sublime-text for teh arm (armhf, ubuntu-raring) architecture! i got my quadcore arm ready for laravel development…

so pls guys, dont let us wait any longer…

THX!

0 Likes

I need Sublime Text 3 ARM Build too. :neutral_face:

0 Likes

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

Today’s news :smile:
Another reason to invest time in ARM port :smile:

0 Likes

To jump on the back of this, a build for SurfaceRT users would be cool. Obviously RT would have to be jailbroken for it to work.

0 Likes

+1 for an ARM build.

Message to the “sales team”: I just purchased a license, so now I am customer. Hope you care about me! :wink:

0 Likes

I love SB it’s the best editor ever! I am a licensed user since nov. 2012 and I would love to see a ARM build.

+1 ARM build!

0 Likes

+1 On arm build. I"m using Crouton on my Chromebook and love Sublime Text :mrgreen:

0 Likes

I would like to add my voice to support an arm build.

0 Likes

That’s closed source vendor lock-in biting you in the ass. Now that you’re hooked, you have to beg for platform support. :smiley:

Read this: The Free Software Definition

How many free software libraries were used in the development of Sublime? Switch to free software and compile for ARM any time you want.

0 Likes

Switching from x86 to ARM so I need and vote for the ARM version Sublime Text … until an ARM version ST will not exist, my license will be unused :frowning: … and I will have to find and use a different editor :frowning:

0 Likes

Another request for an armhf architecture (Raspberry Pi) build here, please… I ask also for all the other Raspberry community fans addicted to Sublime Text!

+1 ARM build!

0 Likes