Sublime Forum

Vintageous 2.0

[size=150]Vintageous 2.0 is out![/size]

(Works only with Sublime Text 3)

Version numbers in Vintagous aren’t very meaningful, but there’s been quite a few additions recently that haven’t been announced–and we might even set a 2.0 trend–so here it goes:

• Command-line mode (VintageEx is included in Vintageous)
  • Filesystem completion for :w, :e, :cd
  • Virtual current directory for command-line mode (mimics S3 native behavior)
  • Basic visual block mode (expand up and down + motions)
  • Select mode (non-standard mode to integrate multiple selections functionality)
  • Basic surround plugin (check out Vintageous_Plugin_Surround)
  • Improved docs
  • Dozens of fixes
  • Probably more stuff I’ve forgotten!

Hope you like it :slight_smile:

Vintageous

Guillermo

0 Likes

Awesome work. Projects like this one constantly remind me how flexible and good sublime text is. Thank you for your hard work.

I have what is probably a silly question, maybe, but do you have any suggestions for learning Vintageous? Sublime Text was pretty much my first true editor, and especially now that I’ve registered it, I’ll probably never switch. BUT, I have been made increasingly aware of the raw power Vim has for editing text, just from watching others use it efficiently. I’ve always been a keyboard driven computer user, even before I started programming, so this really appeals to me. So, I was pretty excited when I stumbled upon Vintageous recently, as even my die-hard Vim using friends admit it is really good. I thought I would just get myself a book on Vim or something and work through it, but use sublime with Vintageous installed instead. However, all the learning materials I come across seem to assume some level of basic proficiency, and suggest the built in Vim tutor as a starting point.

So, is my only option to spend a few weeks using Vim, working through the vim tutor, and then come back to Sublime and Vintageous? Anyone have any better ideas?

0 Likes

You could try the links for Novice, Intermediate and Advanced tutorials on this page:
derekwyatt.org/vim/vim-tutorial-videos/

They’re video tutorials and the person doing them makes things pretty easy to understand.
After learning the contents of those videos I’m not sure of the next best step but they seem like a good starting point.

Also, I don’t know how much of those tutorials will apply to Vintageous, but I assume that the basic common functionality is mostly the same.

0 Likes

Awesome, I’ll give them a go and see if i can work through them with Vintageous!

0 Likes

Mid-way through your post I was already thinking this before actually reading your question. I don’t know how one could learn Vim without learning Vim first… That said, you don’t need to become proficient in Vim to use Vintageous (or Vim, for that matter). (I for one find Vim customization cryptic most of the time, for example.)

I would definitely recommend going through the tutor a couple of times; it won’t take much time (certainly not weeks). Try to understand what it means you are doing and the cornerstones of Vim usage: modes (in general), normal and insert mode, motions, counts + motions, actions, counts + actions, motions + actions, count + motions + actions, motion + count + action… Then try more advanced things like text objects (which are a sort of motion), jumps, other modes, the command line, registers… There’s no specific order in which you should learn things besides the basics (modes [normal and insert], motions, actions and counts come first).

Vim documentation is comprehensive, but it’s often wrong or confusing, and it won’t give you an structured overview of the editor anyway (there are entry-level topics and you should probably read them though; check out :help toc). But that’s likely to overwhelm you if you want to try all of that during your first sessions. Whatever you try, I would try to understand the concepts behind Vim rather than learning every single trick.

My recommendation for a begginer in short: There’s a good number of vim cheatsheets out there. Find one that looks nice and try to understand what it means after going through the tutor, then check the documentation when you don’t understand something in the cheatsheet.

Once you have a good grasp of the basics, you need to realize that almost anything you want to do is possible --you just don’t know how it’s done. (What it’s more, there are things you don’t know you want to do, but you can.) Also, that there’s probably more than one better (faster, more concise, etc.) way of doing stuff you do constantly. Just try to go from your own usage and optimize your habits.

Lastly, a word of warning when you use Vintageous: It has flaws compared to Vim. It works rather well, if I may say so, and I hope it will get better, but it’s different, and sometimes it just doesn’t work as it should.

0 Likes

I warned you that it was a silly question, lol. I guess I was hoping someone would tell me “Oh we’ve got tutorials for Vintageous and Sublime” But more importantly than that, you’ve clarified a point of confusion I had not realized I had. You really hit the nail on the head with the statement :

I’ve probably been grossly overestimating how much I need to learn just for it to be useful. I can well imagine just getting off the arrow keys will be quite handy. Thanks, maybe one day after I AM a proficient, I can put together that Vintageous tutorial. Thanks again for the advice, it makes a lot of sense and gives me a course of action. And I will remember to watch for those places where the Vintageous illusion shows through.

0 Likes

Congrats, great work!

@edubkendo, I quite enjoy vim-adventures.com/, although I’m way behind on the later levels…

0 Likes

And it’s not free as one might think at first. After few level you have to pay 25$ to continue.

0 Likes

Does Vintageous automatically load the Vintageous Surround plugin when both are installed as packages? Are the basic keystrokes of the Surround plugin the same as the Vim Surround plugin by Tim Pope?

0 Likes

That’s correct.

They should be, although the plugin is quite rough around the edges. Only ys" and ds" are implemented.

0 Likes

@quarnster , this has been awesome. I’ve finished the free level last night. I’ll have to buy it I think. Looks like it hasnt been updated in a good while though, which is a little concerning but for the money, the content that is there already is probably worth it. I’ve gotten a lot of mileage from playing a few minutes into the game, then going and doing some coding and practicing the new thing, then back

0 Likes