Sublime Forum

Worth Purchasing?

This is probably the most stupidest question on the internet, but is Sublime Text worth purchasing; I mean it’s not like I don’t want to purchase it, it’s more for the fact I’m a 15 year old developer, who’s got no job and get’s £5 a week with which I purchase DC Comics with.

Beside getting the “UNREGISTER” watermark in the title, what other features get’s added or isn’t there any?

Regards,

Will Hughes

0 Likes

Honestly, if you are not doing some super serious development, and you don’t feel like your missing anything, if I were a 15 year old, I would go spend my money on some more comics :smile:. Especially since there isn’t a student discount at all.

As for me, being a programmer in the corporate world, I have purchased a license, but I am in a different place than you.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply, well I’m currently working in 8 languages, but Sublime is used for only four. I’ll just spend my money on Comics! :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards,

Will Hughes

0 Likes

It’s worth purchasing because you help the world by helping these guys write the best editor eva.

0 Likes

Happy paying customer since 2009 here! Wouldn’t think twice about it.

0 Likes

I should probably rephrase my answer. As someone not in high school, I feel Sublime Text is worth purchasing because it is awesome. But if I was 15, I don’t care how awesome the text editor was, I would probably spend my money elsewhere…like comics, music, girls, games etc. (in no particular order).

When you get old, and things like having a good text editor matter more, you can spend 70 bucks on a text editor. But at 15, I just can’t see how spending 70 bucks on an editor is better than spending it on something fun. You will have plenty of years to spend your money on boring things like text editors.

0 Likes

Dude, he’s a computer geek and DC comics fan. There is no place for girls in this equation! :mrgreen:

Who, who! Easy here!

0 Likes

FWIW, buying Sublime Text is really up to how much you value your time using it. For me, at 15, I sat at the computer all day after school and had no other life, so having a utility like this would have made things much more enjoyable for me and I would have gladly paid a few months of income on it. But if you do other things too, and this is more of a hobby that you wouldn’t get enjoyment from after spending that much of your money on, then hold off. There are plenty of solutions for you to do what you need without paying money. The “Sublime Factor” as I call it (paid version) is more intended for those of us in the industry who don’t want to settle for less, and have the funds to allow us to purchase it.

0 Likes

Programming is one of the few things a teenager can get into where the vast bulk of his/her tools can be had for free. I played guitar when I was a teen – axes, amps, strings, pedals, that really added up. But if I’d been bitten by the programming bug back then, I could’ve saved all my money for drugs. (I kid, I kid…)

Seriously: I’ve been using ST with Vintage mode now for a couple months, and I’m a bunch more efficient now than I was back when I was using non-modal editors. I would give up a lot of cool stuff if I had to go to Vim, but I would also get some cool stuff, including $70. That would keep me in guitar strings for months.

0 Likes

Of course. Sublime is , well, sublime.

Pay and be grateful for an awesome product.

0 Likes

I had no problem using the evaluation version. Heck, I could’ve used it 'till my fingers were bleeding.

However, the more I used it, the more I realized that it’s an incredibly versatile and damn good looking tool.

I was happy to cough up 70 bucks for this amazing piece of software just to support the developers, because they’re awesome.

0 Likes

I never say this is not worth of your money, instead I always felt it provides good result for what you pay to these guys. I am a happy customer for 5+ years now and never had a feel to drop this in between. I hope you should not be worried in paying to them.

0 Likes

@Miadric Don’t buy license now because sublime is remaining free for cool kids like you. When you build software commercially, remember to buy a license to support sublime and developers like you.
Good on you for working on 8languages, that’s impressive but remember to read fundamental concepts again, you’ll become an awesome developer.

0 Likes

You won’t have to buy a license just yet. I’m in college and use it for school alot, but also program with it in my free time. That’s why I bought it, it became a tool which I used daily, many hours actually. So for me it was worth it, but maybe for you it’s not yet worth it. When you get a little older, go and buy it. Support the dev and make yourself feel better for buying it aswell:)

0 Likes

Well, it was nice intil i suscribed for some contest and now im being spammed by sublime text with almost daily emails that i cannot unsuscribe.

Its went so annoying that i just hooked user32.dll and forced MessageBoxW to return 2 if text contains “unregistered” word. just for revengue.

int WINAPI d_MessageBoxW(HWND hWnd,LPCTSTR lpText,LPCTSTR lpCaption,UINT uType) {
if (strstr(lpCaption, “unregistered”) != NULL)
return 2;//IDCANCEL
typedef int(__stdcall *pS)(HWND, LPCTSTR, LPCTSTR, UINT);
pS pps = (pS)p_MessageBoxW;
int rv = pps(hWnd, lpText, lpCaption, uType);
return rv;
}

also setup a filter to autodelete spam emails.

thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“pabloko”]Well, it was nice intil i suscribed for some contest and now im being spammed by sublime text with almost daily emails that i cannot unsuscribe.

Its went so annoying that i just hooked user32.dll and forced MessageBoxW to return 2 if text contains “unregistered” word. just for revengue.

int WINAPI d_MessageBoxW(HWND hWnd,LPCTSTR lpText,LPCTSTR lpCaption,UINT uType) {
return 2;//IDCANCEL
return rv;
}

thanks![/quote]

What e-mail service do you use that you can’t add the sender as a junk mail sender?

0 Likes

[quote=“pabloko”]Well, it was nice intil i suscribed for some contest and now im being spammed by sublime text with almost daily emails that i cannot unsuscribe.

return 2;//IDCANCEL
return rv;
}

thanks![/quote]

First of all, I’m guessing you signed up for the “Sublimetext Tips” contest for a free sublime license that was held recently. You should be aware that Sublimetext Tips has no affiliation with Sublimetext the company, so your “revenge” is completely against the wrong person. Also, at the bottom of every Sublimetext tips email is an unsubscribe link.

0 Likes