Sublime Forum

Bracket / parenthesis highlighting question

Currently matching parenthesis are highlighted by a subtle underline. However, in the color scheme I use (Monokai), the subtle underline is too subtle, and actually hard to see if there is a line of text below the highlighted parenthesis.

Is there any option to change the color of the underline or perhaps make the matching parenthesis bold?

1 Like

For X: improve matching and find highlighting

To change the colour of the underline you should be able to add an entry for meta.parens to the .tmTheme file, assuming your .tmLanguage file defines that (C does, for example)

Example from my tmTheme :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
        <key>settings</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>name</key>
                <string>meta.parens</string>
                <key>settings</key>
                <dict>
                    <key>foreground</key>
                    <string>#FF8040</string>
                </dict>
                <key>scope</key>
                <string>meta.parens</string>
            </dict>
...]
0 Likes

that did not work. it changed the color of some of my parenthesis, but did not change the underline color.

with some sleuthing (with the help of pixie), i am able to deduce that the underline color is equal to the average RGB value of the background color and the caret color. it would appear there is not independent control of this.

0 Likes

You’re right! My notes were wrong, sorry.

This will do it:

...] <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>settings</key> <array> <dict> <key>settings</key> <dict> <key>brackets</key> <string>#FF00FF</string> ...]

0 Likes

indeed you are correct! beautiful!
thanks for the help,
and thanks again jon for such a great tool!

0 Likes

Hi. I have a similar problem, but I want to highlight the full area of the brackets, not just bottom border. How i make this?

1 Like

Sorry, there’s no option for this - only the colour can be customised at present.

0 Likes

thanks for all your replies :smile:

0 Likes