Sublime Forum

True fuzzy-search in QuickPanel

Today, the QuickPanel works close to doing a fuzzy-search: it looks for whatever you type, but search terms have to be separated with a space.
So if I have a file called “check.php”, I won’t find it by looking for “cphp”; I have to type “c php” (with a space).

I’d like the QuickPanel to support true fuzzy search. I’m guessing this isn’t really hard to implement, since it very closely builds on what’s available now.
Many popular programs use a true fuzzy search (e.g. Launchy, Emacs).
Every time I’ve tried using a true fuzzy search, it’s just made my life that much easier.

0 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the idea behind this is that you can exclude search terms too by putting a minus in front of them. Therefore, I’m against of changing this behavior.

0 Likes

No reason you can’t have both of these features (if you put in a “space dash” combination, i.e. " -", then it interprets it as a minus for the next search term).

This isn’t a major issue, but it does trip me up once in a while, and the true fuzzy-search way works amazingly for other software.

0 Likes

I second this request; my muscle memory keeps getting messed up when I’ve been working in TextMate and come back to Sublime.

Thank you for posting this, though. I had no idea that space let me start skipping chars again. Helpful. :smile:

0 Likes