Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Exclude files & directories from "Find in Files"

Exclude files & directories from "Find in Files"

Postby seanch on Wed May 19, 2010 12:59 am

It would be useful to be able to exclude certain files and directories from the "Find in Files" search, such as Subversion's ".svn" directories.

I'm thinking something like "find.direxclude" and "find.exclude" options that would work like the "project.direxclude" and "project.exclude" options.
seanch

Re: Exclude files & directories from "Find in Files"

Postby edanm on Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 am

+1

Sounds very useful.
edanm

Postby jps on Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm

You can exclude files and directories by including them in the search pattern with a "-" prefix, for example:

Code: Select all
*.*;-*.css;-*CVS*

Will search all files, skipping over .css files and skipping anything with CVS in the path
jps
Site Admin

Postby seanch on Thu May 20, 2010 4:04 pm

jps wrote:You can exclude files and directories by including them in the search pattern with a "-" prefix

Thanks for the tip. I still think being able to always have certain files/directories excluded would be useful, but this'll work.
seanch

Postby Phrogz on Tue May 25, 2010 6:31 pm

jps wrote:You can exclude files and directories by including them in the search pattern with a "-" prefix, for example:

As a note to others, this doesn't work at the directory level. When I try searching in
Code: Select all
<project>;-C:\www\bugbot3\vendor\
it searches in the whole project and then tells me "Unable to open -C:\www\bugbot3\vendor\".

Instead, you have to put "*.*;-C:\www\bugbot3\vendor\*.*" in the third field, not second.
Phrogz

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests