Sublime Forum

Really, pay for an upgrade?

After paying a lot for ST2 now I find out I have to pay more for ST3? Way to kill the desire for product guys. Considering all the bugs and crashes I’ve put up with in ST2, I don’t think so.

0 Likes

oohhh, what a surprise. I don’t recall any software product that charged for upgrades (mmmhhhh, office, photoshop, …). :unamused:

0 Likes

Even in it’s beta stage sublime was always very stable and almost all the bugs and crashes I had were caused by 3rd party plugins.

I find the update pricing very reasonable. Also, I can’t remember any paid software giving major updates for free.

0 Likes

ST2 was in beta a loooooong time. I am sure ST3 will be in beta a loooooong time as well. By the time ST3 is finally official, I know I will have gotten my money’s worth out of ST2, and will have no problem paying the upgrade price. Every commercial software I know charges for major point releases. I don’t understand why it is a surprise that Sublime Text would do it any different.

The increase price to $70 might give some people pause, and some may think $70 still quite reasonable. Supply and demand will, as always, prove if this was a good decision. It all depends if the Sublime User base is still growing at the same pace. If it isn’t, and Jon mostly sees upgrades for ST3, he has to account for the expected loss by possibly raising price on new sales. I don’t understand why people freak out about these kind of things. The man is trying to make living. Maybe he has more overhead now he has to pay for.

0 Likes

I think i got my $$$ worth out of ST2 within the first couple of hours of using it.

Also, while I know money is hard these days you are not being forced to pay for an upgrade to ST. ST2 will be orders of magnitude better than any other editor out there 5 yeras from now. You dont need the latest and greatest :smile:

0 Likes

I’m not quite understanding the fuzz tbh. If you’re a hobbyist and don’t wish to pay anything at all, there are so many excellent editor and IDE options out there as open source or freeware that you should be set for life. If you’re earning your living at least partially through coding, and sublime text saves you just an hour of paid time over its entire version cycle, you already made your money back. So… seriously. If you’re earning your living coding AND can’t afford 30$ for an upgrade, something is seriously wrong with your business (and I don’t mean it in a snarky way).

0 Likes

the fact that sublime has updates and people care about it enough to continue to support it means i will gladly dish out money for st3 should it arrive, so long as the license stays the same (per-user, not per-machine)

0 Likes

I want to +1 every one of these posts! :smile: Well said.

$70 is NOT that much money, regardless of your situation - unless you’re 14, living at home, and don’t have a job. Then yes, it can be a lot of money. If that’s the case, stick with the trial, stick with ST2, or… use N++. But please don’t complain about paying for upgrades when almost EVERY software vendor in existence charges for major upgrades. By the way, a major upgrade is something like v2.x to v3.x. Minor upgrades are things like v2.1 to v2.2. Typically, minor upgrades are free while major upgrades cost (my terminology may be a bit off, but you get the idea). This is normal business models as far as my experience tells me.

If you think that $70 is a too much money, then think about the other things in life that you spend money on…

• $4+ for coffee from Starbucks?

• $5+ for a McDonalds meal?

• $50+ for an Xbox game?

• $50-100+ for a date night (depending on where you are in life)?

• $15/mo for a game subscription (World of Warcraft)?

Any one of these things add up very quickly. I have a bad habit of stopping for coffee on my way in to the office every morning. My drink of choice is $4 dollars and some change. That’s $20/week, $80/month. If you think spending $80 dollars for coffee is ok, but not $70 for Sublime then maybe you should stick with freeware?

0 Likes

I’m new to Sublime, and I like it, but I can’t help but feel $70 is kind of high considering I can get static analysis and refactoring options as well in another competing product priced at $50. Have I just missed the features that make Sublime really deliver on that $70?

Mike

0 Likes

@mike_lang The first Money I got from a bit of coding (19 years old) went into Sublime Text. There is just no Editor on the current market that really can compete with Sublime Text at what it does.
Why would I need refactoring Options? The multiple-Selections Feature is so much better than any big cluttered UI where you constantly have to use the Mouse.
I found that with this Editor I code more efficient and just plainly better, because of its focus on pure Code,
you dont have to click through any kinds of Popups or Sidebars. And its speed is just awesome, it just feels great to code with it.
Well, for me at least. Luckily there is a free version, where you can test the Editor for infinite time, and then conclude if it fits you. Just use it and learn it :smile:

0 Likes