Sublime Forum

Settings not reloading

I’ve had this problem for a long time now. Settings are not reloaded when I make changes to some configuration file. Doesn’t really matter which one. When I restart Sublime text they are of course loaded as expected, and since SublimeText starts so quickly now it isn’t a huge problem. Still, a little annoying.

My setup:
Mac OS X 10.8.4
SublimeText 3 dev build
Packages linked to Dropbox folder

0 Likes

Sublime Text 3 ignores changes to settings file
Reload plugins in ST3?

I have the same problem. I fixed it once by changing the way my symlinks were (making it so Dropbox was symlinked to my Sublime packages, instead of vice versa), but then the problem came back anyway and I don’t know how to fix it now.

0 Likes

Actually, I forgot - I removed the symlink entirely in the hopes that it would fix things, and it didn’t. There are no symlinks and reloading is still broken.

0 Likes

I just got this issue. It really is horribly annoying, I’ve been using the trial-version of Sublime for a long time and finally thought that it’s so fantastic that I must buy a license. Not long after I did, the filewatcher stops working. This makes the settings not reload, and also makes the sidebar not display changes in the tree without doing a manual update.

I’ve used AppCleaner to uninstall and reinstall it, and the problem still persists. I am seriously considering doing a full reinstallation of the OS.

Build 3047
Mac 10.8.4

0 Likes

Somehow I managed to solve this issue, but unfortunately I’m not sure what did it.

I started to fiddle around with anything I thought could have something to do with the problem, and suddenly it started working again.
Here’s what I did.

• I removed Sublime entirely using AppCleaner, including all support-files. I have my settings symlinked from a git repo so restoring was not a problem. However the problem persisted.
  • I tried to do this again, but this time removing everything in my User-directory except .sublime-settings-files (eg ca-bundle, caches, etc).
  • I uninstalled my other python3 installation. I had it installed with homebrew, so I did brew uninstall python3.
    This one is my best bet on what did it. Since I was fairly sure that the problem had to do with a filewatcher, and the problem persisted even after a complete reinstall, I thought the problem might be with Python. Sublime 3 comes bundled with its own Python3-interpreter, so maybe it clashes with the homebrew one somehow. I have nothing to prove that this is the case, but I can’t think of anything else that might have solved the problem.

Try these if they apply to you, and if anyone have an explanation to what’s actually happening I would appreciate it!

Cheers!

0 Likes

I’ve now confirmed that this problem is directly related to the Homebrew installation of Python3. It appears directly after running brew install python3 and disappears after running brew remove python3.

I have not been able to get them working together, but now at least we know what is causing the problem.

0 Likes

I was lying. The problem now came back even with python3 uninstalled. This is driving me crazy.

0 Likes

I was just gonna say… I tried uninstalling python3 in homebrew and it still doesn’t work. Hasn’t worked for months.

Oh well…

Maybe it’s time to write a plugin that all it does is manually read settings files etc and updates Sublime using the API… this is a sad day.

0 Likes

I trashed all my caches and indexes -> no dice.
I reverted my install -> it works.
I add my packages back one at a time -> it works. ??
The only thing I can think of then is my session file. From now on when this happens I will be trashing my auto-save and session files. We’ll see?

jps, any possible insights?

0 Likes

Just adding that this is happening to me on ST3 as well, with the latest nightly. This seriously cripples the responsiveness of the app, as restarting just to apply a settings tweak is very disruptive to my actual workflow. Perhaps I tweak my settings with an unnatural frequency, but I still hope this bug is a) on the ST3 dev radar and b) fairly high priority.

@adzenith: I don’t have python3 installed with Homebrew. What are these session files you speak of? Which files, exactly, should I be nuking? Thanks for you help with this!

0 Likes

If you trash the session files, it’ll close everything that you have open, so watch out.
Save all your work, then quit ST3.
Trash ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Index/* (I don’t know what these are, but might as well nuke 'em)
Trash ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Local/*.sublime_session
Re-open ST3.
Maybe profit, if the ST3 gods decide they want to actually reload files you save?

0 Likes

Bah. I deleted all those files, and no success :frowning:

There is no [ST3] God.

I did discover another bug (where do I report these?):

1. Open Preferences
  2. Change some stuff
  3. Press CMD+= (zoom in or - for zoom out)
  4. Watch as all your changes to preferences are obliterated and the font_size setting is updated.
0 Likes

…you can hit “undo” if you’ve still got it open.
But yeah, that’s officially “by design”… :frowning::frowning:

0 Likes

I think it’s half by design. It makes sense that it’d increment and save the font_size setting, but it should first read the settings file, find or add the property, then save. Instead, it just seems to take whatever cached version of settings it had when ST3 was opened, find/add the setting, then save. So any opening and saving you’ve done between opening ST3 and adjusting font size is gone. I don’t even know why it’d save that cached version of settings, really… Saving settings should at least expire that cache. But maybe this is related to the bug we’re talking about already — ST3 doesn’t know when I’ve changed my settings until I close and relaunch it.

0 Likes

[quote=“svenax”]I’ve had this problem for a long time now. Settings are not reloaded when I make changes to some configuration file. Doesn’t really matter which one. When I restart Sublime text they are of course loaded as expected, and since SublimeText starts so quickly now it isn’t a huge problem. Still, a little annoying.
[/quote]

I have this problem too.

I did some testing and appears that this is exactly the reason. If you move Packages back into Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/ the preference settings get reloaded automatically. Replace it with a symlink and it breaks. This is not what Sublime Text 2 does and I wonder if it’s a bug.

0 Likes

Add me to the list. I symlink Packages to Dropbox to share between work and home, and it won’t reload settings (or snippet changes in my User folder).

0 Likes

I’m having the same problem. I had this setup for Sublime Text 2 without issue. I symlinked all of my settings via Dropbox. When I remove the symlink, it works perfectly.

0 Likes

Although it is possible there is more than one inducement, I can say definitively that symlinking Packages leads to settings and plugins no longer reloading.

Bizarrely, in limited testing I find I can symlink either higher (e.g. the “Sublime Text 3” folder in Application Support) or lower (e.g. a folder within Packages) and it’s not a problem.

Here is an opensnoop trace of the sublime process and the plugin_host process with respect to my plugin folder, with and without symlinking the Packages folder, after I touch the plugin file to induce a reload.

Without a symlink:

# sublime
1655713725     2014 Mar 16 09:04:16   501  28792 130   0 /Users/paulp/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/paulp-plugin/paulp.py Sublime Text\0
1657270258     2014 Mar 16 09:04:18   501  28792 130   0 /Users/paulp/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/paulp-plugin/.sublcd9.tmp Sublime Text\0
1657849595     2014 Mar 16 09:04:18   501  28792 130   0 /Users/paulp/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/paulp-plugin Sublime Text\0
# plugin_host
1657849989     2014 Mar 16 09:04:18   501  28800  -1   2 /Users/paulp/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/paulp-plugin/__pycache__/paulp.cpython-33.pyc plugin_host\0
1657850021     2014 Mar 16 09:04:18   501  28800  78   0 /Users/paulp/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/paulp-plugin/paulp.py plugin_host\0

And with a symlink. Notice how the first two paths are in terms of the symlink, and the third has resolved the symlink to the underlying directory. This suggests a naive string comparison between paths is taking place and failing when there’s a symlink. It’s a very common bug when people invent their own path handling code rather than using a path library where such things have been taken into account.

# sublime
1754694154     2014 Mar 16 09:05:55   501  29390  94   0 /Users/paulp/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/paulp-plugin/paulp.py Sublime Text\0
1755726532     2014 Mar 16 09:05:56   501  29390  94   0 /Users/paulp/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/paulp-plugin/.sublaf1.tmp Sublime Text\0
1755867349     2014 Mar 16 09:05:56   501  29390  94   0 /inst/sublime/Packages/paulp-plugin Sublime Text\0
# plugin_host
# ... nothing, that's the point

If https://github.com/SublimeText/Issues/issues/27 is any guide, I’ll have to fix this myself. But my enthusiasm is dampened somewhat by the prospect of having to disassemble the freaking binary, so hey there sublime developer, what would it take to get this looked at?

1 Like

Hi, I have this same problem, lost all my settings and packages in a sync’d system. What a frustration.

Unfortunately I did two things before this issue arose; Purchased a Licence and Setup symlink.

I have since undone the symlink and replace with a regular copy of the user folder inside the packages sub folder.

Still not working…maybe still waiting to refresh. Any help anywhere (I noticed in this thread that a bug was fixed…was it?)

It would be a real shame if the issue is arising following the purchase of a licence key.

All and any help welcome.

(btw: ST3)

0 Likes

I was until recently having problems trying to sync my folders with dropbox and just managed to solve it by following the official tutorial here. Basically I was trying to sync the Packages and Installed Packages folders instead of just the Packages/User folder.

Basically what it says is that you shouldn’t sync Packages and Installed Packages folders instead just sync your Packages/User folder.

0 Likes