Sublime Forum

Moving to ST3 on Windows, packages have no folders

Windows 7 x64

I just discovered ST this week and I love it already. I’m attempting to use ST3 now and want to install packages. I’m using Package Control to do so for the most part, but it’s not creating folders for the packages in the packages folder. Some of the packages work anyway, but there are tons of errors in the console and no settings files are available. If I use git clone to manually install, I think it works okay, but I want to make sure I’m doing things as “pristine” as possible. For obvious reasons, I’d rather install everything I can from Package Control.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Matt

0 Likes

The packages are run directly from the *.sublime-package files, which are just renamed zips. In ST2, these had to be extracted to be run. If you are using package control, they are likely being placed in the Installed Packages directory. This is at the same level as the Packages Directory. As for some not working, ST3 uses Python3 rather than Python2. If it hasn’t been ported, they may not work. That being said, PC2.0 is supposed to help manage this (though I have no idea how and haven’t had time to look). Perhaps wbond or someone else can clarify this. If you are installing manually, you will need to see if the packages are ST3 compatible. Some have a compatible master branch, whereas others have a separate branch that must be used.

0 Likes

Ah…well that explains some things.

I ran my settings through this site, http://www.caniswitchtosublimetext3.com/ , which said all but a few were ST3 compatible and even a couple of those (Sublime Linter and Goto Documentation) I was able to get working.

So, would I reinstall all the packages via PC and then just copy over the contents of the User folder to get my settings transferred?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Okay, I have all the packages working, I think (will take some use to see if I find a glitch). The errors seem to be related to the directory structures not being set up in the package files. For example, if I try to go to the default settings for the Tag package via Preferences > Package Settings > Tag > Settings - Default, I get this error:

And it’s not there because installing the package only creates the file under Installed Packages and the Tag folder is not created under Packages as it is in ST2. Nor is a user settings file created under the User folder.

The same happens with BracketHighlighter, DocBlockr, Emmet, Package Control, SideBarEnhancements, and SublimeOnSaveBuild (of the packages I have installed). However, PlainTasks and SFTP don’t get the error because those packages DID create the folders.
Even Sublime default settings, Settings - Default and Key Bindings - Default, get the error because no Default folder is created.

HOWEVER, I notice that a file still comes up even though the error is displayed in the console. So, I guess it all works, just not very elegantly.

Thanks!

P.S. Where’s the subscribe button for forum threads?

0 Likes

This has to do with how files open. When the packages folder is specified, well technically “${packages}”, it first tries to open the file in "Packages/’. It then tries “Installed Packages/”. Finally, it tries the executable path (which I don’t remember the exact location to). As you have seen, if the file isn’t in “Packages”, an “error” occurs. This type of loading also allows you to override specific files in packages. For example, say you want to override all of the default command palette commands. You would create the file “Packages/Default/Default.sublime-commands”. Now, this file will be used rather than that in the executable path. This is how you “modify” default packages, while avoiding any override issues that may have occurred in ST2. In terms of overriding settings, you should still place those files in the “Packages/User/” directory, since placing it there will merge everything properly.

There isn’t any subscribe button. One of the unfortunate things about this forum.

0 Likes