Sublime Forum

Can't make default editor in windows

I have been using sublime text 2 to edit some websites I have. The other day, it wouldn’t open files and gave me a message that it was old and that I should download a new version. I had been getting messages to update for a little while, but I always ignored them.

So I downloaded the new version and installed it. But now I can’t use “open with” on my window machine to open files. I can’t set it as the default text editor. And, additionally, my ftp program won’t let me use it to edit files on a remote server. That’s the big part. Is there a way to fix this?

0 Likes

Well problem solved. I re installed the program and there was an option to add it to the menu when you right click on a file. “Open With…” still won’t work but that’s ok because there is now another option to open with sublime text that is separate.

And my FTP program had a separate sorta hidden configuration option to manually select the editor program to edit files on the remote server. So even though sublime text still no longer shows up under the default list programs to edit files with alongside notepad and wordpad etc, I can still open files in sublime text by setting the ftp program to use it every time. Which is handy for times like today when I wanted to make a bunch of css and markup changes on the server without having do download/re-upload etc or use a different editor.

So while it was nice, and a little nostalgic to get re-acquainted with notepad++ again today, I’m back to using sublime text. Yay!

0 Likes

I think I can help you get Open With/default editor working. The problem is that the Sublime Text uninstaller doesn’t remove a particular registry entry referring to Sublime Text 2’s sublime_text.exe, which prevents Windows from adding an entry for Sublime Text 3’s sublime_text.exe.

To correct it manually, open regedit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications, find the sublime_text.exe entry, and delete it. You should now be able to set Sublime Text 3 as the default editor for anything you want.

0 Likes

110% true, thank you!

0 Likes

Open With Sublime Text

[quote=“kane_t”]

Signed up for the forum to explicitly thank you for posting this. I’ve been going crazy for a couple days with this. Thanks![/quote]

0 Likes

[quote=“kane_t”]I think I can help you get Open With/default editor working. The problem is that the Sublime Text uninstaller doesn’t remove a particular registry entry referring to Sublime Text 2’s sublime_text.exe, which prevents Windows from adding an entry for Sublime Text 3’s sublime_text.exe.

To correct it manually, open regedit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications, find the sublime_text.exe entry, and delete it. You should now be able to set Sublime Text 3 as the default editor for anything you want.[/quote]

thx, it works perfectly.

0 Likes

Awesome, worked for me- thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“Shoebox”]

[quote=“kane_t”]
To correct it manually, open regedit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications, find the sublime_text.exe entry, and delete it. You should now be able to set Sublime Text 3 as the default editor for anything you want.[/quote]

Signed up for the forum to explicitly thank you for posting this. I’ve been going crazy for a couple days with this. Thanks![/quote]

Same here, much appreciated! Thank you!

0 Likes

Thank you! Can’t believe this isn’t part of Sublime’s Uninstaller – what’s with that?

0 Likes

[quote=“kane_t”]I think I can help you get Open With/default editor working. The problem is that the Sublime Text uninstaller doesn’t remove a particular registry entry referring to Sublime Text 2’s sublime_text.exe, which prevents Windows from adding an entry for Sublime Text 3’s sublime_text.exe.

Today I finally got around to updating from ST2 to 3, and this issue was driving me crazy. Thank you for the fix. I’d have given up in frustration probably. Thank you so much!

0 Likes

Thank the Force lol, was going nuts with the rest of these guys.

0 Likes

I too made an account just to say thanks for this post.

I am guessing fixing this isn’t too big of a deal with the uninstaller?

0 Likes

I read this and follow your intructions. After that, I come back here, click to Register Button, Register Information, Get keyword, Complete My Registeration and Post this reply, Just to say THANK YOU !!! IT WORKED !!!

0 Likes

Worked for me, thank you!

0 Likes

Thank you so much! I am also amongst many who created an account just to say Thank you :smile:. It’s frustrating not to see the executable in the list of programs.

I understand that sublime unistall will only uninstall the things it created/added, however it would be nice if it can delete the registry entry as well.

0 Likes

Thank you also. I’ve recently created this account just to express my thanks to you kane_t. :smile:

0 Likes

I found a program that does automatically.

I am leaving that program link here to note.

0 Likes

Me too …Logged in just to thank you… Cheers

0 Likes

0 Likes