Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Typewriter: a plugin for writers

Typewriter: a plugin for writers

Postby quodlibet on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:36 pm

The Typewriter plugin provides two typewriter-inspired modes for Sublime Text 2 & 3:

- Typewriter Scrolling keeps the view centred on the current line, when there is more than half a screenful of text, à la iA Writer, WriteRoom and the like.
- Typewriter Typing disables your cursor keys and all bindings that move the cursor and/or select text, leaving you only with letters, numbers, symbols, Backspace, Delete and Enter. (Windows & Linux only.)

Get it: https://github.com/alehandrof/Typewriter

Credits:
- Scrolling mode was written by castles_made_of_sand & facelessuser way back when: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4806
- Typing mode is an embarrassing hack I threw together for my own use. I would not have published it, had I not found it to be tremendously useful for drafting.

Cheers,
Alex
quodlibet

Re: Typewriter: a plugin for writers

Postby adzenith on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:24 pm

quodlibet wrote:...leaving you only with letters, numbers, symbols, Backspace, Delete...

Real typewriters don't let you delete text..! :)
adzenith

Postby icylace on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Sounds like a feature unrequest :)
icylace

Postby adzenith on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Exactly :)

I wish there were some way in unicode (or Sublime Text) to combine arbitrary characters - it would be awesome if backspace could just let you type over your previous characters.
adzenith

Postby tito on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:12 pm

Without testing, and just by reading, I think you need to tweak the function to guess the focused view; because in cloned views, the view argument of the on_modified is not the same view on which you are writting. IIRC.

https://github.com/SublimeText/BufferSc ... #L142-L149
Give APIs, let the community build the rest!
https://github.com/titoBouzout
tito

Postby quodlibet on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:46 pm

@icylace I think you mean an unfeature request :D

@adzenith That was my first thought as well. But that would be trying to _make_ a digital typewriter.

I think I've found a happy compromise in trying to figure out how to encourage user behaviour* that's similar to that caused by an actual typewriter, while maintaining the benefits of the digital format. I use git for version control; what would be the use of ████████ █████ ██████████ a bunch of CIA-style redactions in my repo's history? Does this line of thinking make sense?

(* I'm referring to myself. YMMV.)

@tito Thanks for pointing this out. I'll have to look into your code (and possibly steal some of it). I use Typewriter Scrolling almost exclusively in Sublime's Distraction Free mode, so it hadn't come up as an issue. (FWIW, I do point to BufferScroll as a more featureful alternative :))
quodlibet

Postby quodlibet on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Anyone with OSX care to test something for me? It will only take a couple of minutes.
quodlibet

Postby adzenith on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:27 pm

Sure, what's up?
adzenith

Postby quodlibet on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:16 am

Hey @adzenith, thanks for offering.

Can you try these bindings out (one at a time) and let me know if either or both disable your left cursor key in OSX?:

Code: Select all
// { "keys": ["left"], "command": "do_nothing" },
// { "keys": ["left"], "command": "unbound" },

For Windows & Linux the navigation keys are bound explicitly in the Default keymap, but not so in the case of OSX. So, I'm wondering...

Alex
quodlibet

Postby adzenith on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Both disable my left arrow key.... and then I have to delete them with my mouse because I can't use my left arrow key :P
adzenith

Next

Return to Plugin Announcements