Sublime Forum

[SOLVED] Removing/Deactivating a Licence?

I apologize beforehand if this has been asked before, but I’m having trouble finding an answer.

I haven’t purchased a licence yet, but I would like to soon. I read in the FAQ that I would be allowed to use my personal licence with whatever company I’m working for as long it’s me that’s using it. However, what if I’m leaving the company? How would I go about removing the licence from their computer?

I plan on using a portable copy at work.

0 Likes

[quote=“Mifuyne”]I apologize beforehand if this has been asked before, but I’m having trouble finding an answer.

I haven’t purchased a licence yet, but I would like to soon. I read in the FAQ that I would be allowed to use my personal licence with whatever company I’m working for as long it’s me that’s using it. However, what if I’m leaving the company? How would I go about removing the licence from their computer?

I plan on using a portable copy at work.[/quote]

It removes really easy and can be activated again somewhere else.
You can also activate on multiple machines, I have it on two of my windows machines and my mac.
I’m sure he has some system that detects abnormal behavior but it shouldn’t get in the way of you using it legitimately.

0 Likes

[quote=“Saxi”]
It removes really easy and can be activated again somewhere else.
You can also activate on multiple machines, I have it on two of my windows machines and my mac.
I’m sure he has some system that detects abnormal behavior but it shouldn’t get in the way of you using it legitimately.[/quote]

It’s safe to assume that the licence is stored with the program itself rather than registered to the registry or stored elsewhere?

And thanks for the quick response :smiley:

0 Likes

The license is stored with your application data as a file.

0 Likes

Ahh, that’s what I needed to know. Thanks!

0 Likes

@Mifuyne

For Sublime Text 3 you can use the menu entry Help > Remove license.

The license file can be located using the menu entry Preferences > Browse packages, switching to the parent folder of Packages and then switching to the subfolder Local there.

.sublime
    /Data
        /Local
            License.sublime-license
        /Packages

Do note that Sublime Text 3 accepts plaintext and binary license files.

You can:

• enter a license via the menu entry Help > Enter license
    • Sublime Text 3 will then create a binary file with your license data and some machine information
  • manually create a plaintext license file at the above location
    • should work on any machine
    • :warning: beware that the plaintext file can be read by any program/plug-in/etc.
0 Likes

Entering license on the dev build crashes it