Sublime Forum

Another month

…and no new builds. The last build is very slow on Win8/64 for large projects (but fast on Linux, dualbooting on same machine), so will the final release be optimized?

0 Likes

I second this. I work on a gargantuan project and when I upgraded to ST3 it really slowed down. I was rather disappointed. But at the same time I am way to stubborn to downgrade cause i just bought a registration and am working off the dev builds.

0 Likes

The last dev build was released a little less than a month ago (3053 on Aug 29). Have you tried it out to see if your problem persists? Also, define a couple of terms. What do you consider to be a large project? What do you consider sluggish? Is there a particular operation that seems slow, or is it that the entire application bogs down?

0 Likes

Yes, I’m always on the last dev build.

As for defining the terms, I have a project with about 17000 files, and I consider things being sluggish when it takes ten seconds to open a file from time to time. I have no plugins and a very fast computer. ST2 works fine with the project, so I suspect it’s the indexing.

0 Likes

Have you tried turning off the indexing used for “goto definition” in the settings?

Maybe that might work? I don’t have any projects near that size so I can’t test it out. I guess this only works if you can live without the goto definition functionality…

0 Likes

@Arjan

Obviously I don’t know the ins and outs of how Jon’s implemented the indexing system in Sublime, but it does happen on a background thread or process so it shouldn’t affect Sublime to the extent you’re suggesting. Once the indexer’s done its thing, it should only need to index changed files; that’s how it should work at any rate.

So now I’m curious. I wonder if the indexer obeys the “file exclude” and “directory exclude” rules in the project settings? Because I’m thinking that when you do a build or whatever, a lot of (non-source) files will change in your project tree, but many of them could well be text and, from Sublime’s perspective, indistinguishable from your source files. Java builds for example generate a lot of text files in the “bin” and “gen” folders which are of no interest for source browsing and/or goto definition. Repeated generation of these files during the build process could cause the indexer to keep rescanning a potentially huge amount of files. If, in your project settings, you exclude these folders and/or other unwanted file patterns, they disappear from the sidebar and (I wonder) should be ignored by the indexer?

Failing the above, turn off indexing as jbjornson suggests. If you’re working with massive projects with many thousands of files the indexing may be less desirable and/or impractical. If you want to try that I’d suggest making the setting in your project file.

:smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“qgates”]@Arjan

…] If, in your project settings, you exclude these folders and/or other unwanted file patterns, they disappear from the sidebar and (I wonder) should be ignored by the indexer?

Failing the above, turn off indexing as jbjornson suggests. If you’re working with massive projects with many thousands of files the indexing may be less desirable and/or impractical. If you want to try that I’d suggest making the setting in your project file.

:smile:[/quote]

This misses the point since, as I said, older builds work on Windows and the current build even works, but only on Linux. It’s the lack of progress that annoys me.

0 Likes