Sublime Forum

Text not rendered properly under mint

I am running Mint 13 with Mate (ATI HD7850). Sublime doesn’t render the text properly when I scroll or try to type anything.
I’ve tried both the 2217 and 2220 builds, any suggestions.

0 Likes

Hi,

Does the same happen with the default Sublime Text 2 theme? Or the default Monokai color scheme? Please tell us the results, remember to restart Sublime Text 2 so that the other one doesn’t interfere at all. :wink:

0 Likes

This happens under all color schemes, I’ve restarted st2 as suggested when changing them and the issue persists.
The text is rendered improperly in the left hand file selection column as well.

All the other applications including other editors (eclipse…etc) function correctly.

0 Likes

Hmm… I’ve experienced this problem before, but with a browser. I solve it by refreshing the page, like moving around the file for it to update, or turn on&off the monitor.

Although it may also be a package conflict with another package, so what you might want to try is to un-install all your packages, and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn’t then you can re-install them all and, could you please give us your system details? Maybe so that John can reproduce the issue. :smile:

• Eduan
0 Likes

i just did an update on my archlinux machine & it does the same thing. everything else works fine though. one thing it might be is vid card drivers? i’m running an amd radeon hd 6400m with the catalyst drivers (module fglrx) if the orig poster has the same vid & drivers we might be on to something (if not, we’ll have to figure something else out!)

0 Likes

Yep, running the same drivers as you (ATI HD 7850 with catalyst driver).

0 Likes

Okay, so we have similar drivers for our video cards, some of the output of dmesg | grep fglrx is:

serialhex@multi-hex ~]$ dmesg | grep fglrx
1.845547] fglrx: module license ‘Proprietary. © 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY’ taints kernel.
1.878311] <6>[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 5776 MBytes.
1.878559] <6>[fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 6760 count: 1
1.878882] <6>[fglrx] ioport: bar 4, base 0x9000, size: 0x100
1.879025] <6>[fglrx] Kernel PAT support is enabled
1.879048] <6>[fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 9.0.2 [Sep 20 2012] with 1 minors

if yours is the same then it might be a video card thing. i tried some opengl accelerated stuff (things from xscreensaver) thinking it might be some wonky stuff in rendering (i semi-remember something about using opengl to make rendering spiffier… though i could be hallucinating things) and that worked fine. I’m not sure what other information to provide at this time, let me knowwhat else i can do to resolve this. (i’m going to try rolling back my drivers… see if that works)

0 Likes

I tried rolling back my catalyst drivers - that would be too much of a pain so i stopped & tried the opensource drivers, and they work!! so it’s not a problem in sublime text!! (and i can get back to work!)

0 Likes

I’m having the same problem on Arch Linux and it makes sublime unusable. Tried the latest dev build, with the same problem. Tried changing color themes, also with no luck.

Rolling back catalyst(and X and the kernel) would take a ridiculous amount of time and hassle. And the open source radeon drivers are not an option on my machine.

So, if the problem isn’t with sublime, could someone give me a clue as to library dependencies or things to try?

0 Likes

I’ve been using the open source drivers & they seem to be overheating my system! it would be one thing if this was a tower, i could live with the noise & extra few degrees, but this is a laptop, and is WAY not cool!!! i would very much like to switch back to the catalyst drivers, and keep using sublime… any suggestions???

0 Likes

Okay, i think i’ve fixed it!!! In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, add this line:

Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "on"

or run: sudo aticonfig --ovt=opengl which will generate an xorg.conf file that will work with that line. restart X, and you should be back in business!!!

me

0 Likes

Thanks, this also fixed the issue for me on Ubuntu 12.10 !

0 Likes

I am running Arch and same issue, but only happens with certain window managers. Runs fine in xfwm, but fails horribly in i3 and openbox, and e17.

0 Likes

Hi,
I had this issue with KUbuntu 12.10 with fglrx driver.
I use two graphic cards for five screens (HD6850 and HD6570).
This issue shows only with the two cards working. If I use only one SublimeText works fine.
With the fix from serialhex it works fine with the two cards running.

0 Likes

I have a Linux Mint 15 Olivia installed system with ATI HD7850 graphics card. It was running fine in Mint 14. But, I have updated to this version recently. I think there are a lot of compatibility issues with Mint 15.

snorestopnow.org

0 Likes