Sublime Forum

Shortcut to go from search to document?

Is there a way to do this? after typing a search in ctrl+f, press something to put me back so I’m typing in the document again. I feel like I used to do this, but I may be insane.

0 Likes

I think you’re asking for the ‘ctrl+i’ shortcut (by default)

Ctrl+i, then enter and you’re in your page again.

0 Likes

With ctrl-F, hitting Esc takes you back to the document.

Seems like the only other difference between ctrl-F and ctrl-I is whether you need to press Enter or ctrl-G to go to the next match.

Is there anything else? At this point I don’t see much reason to use ctrl-I. Getting ready to recover that keystroke to do something else…

0 Likes

The only real difference between ctrl+i and ctrl+f is what enter does while the find panel has focus (close vs next result). Feel free to rebind ctrl+i if your muscle memory for find isn’t to hit ctrl+i.

0 Likes

Speaking of moving between search and the actual results. Can I use the keyboard to open a result from the results pane of Find In Files?

Right now I double-click on the result I’m interested in to go to the file that contains it. Is there a way to do this by only using the keyboard? I’ve tried various combinations of Alt/Shit/Ctrl+Enter but nothing works. I’ve looked in the console after setting

sublime.log_commands(1)

but I didn’t see any relevant command being fired. Ultimately I’d like to be able to search across files, select a result and open it all without touching the mouse.

0 Likes

Take a look at the items in the Find/Find Results menu

0 Likes

That’s exactly what I need. Heh, I guess I should have checked those entries. Thank you.

0 Likes

I have noticed another difference which I find quite useful. Searching with Ctrl+i, if you hit Esc, it takes the cursor back to where you were before you started the search, whereas with Ctrl+f it leaves you at the current search occurrence. It’s handy if you want to go look for something and come back to your current position.

S

0 Likes

Using ST3 on a Mac and I can’t replicate this jumping from search panel to the main document panel. Obviously I would like to. I have no custom keybindings set. Here is what I’m doing:

• I press Command+F to invoke the search panel.
  • I type ‘remove’ (for example) and it finds that text in the current document.
  • At this point, pressing Command+F again just highlights the text in the find box.

Alternatively, using Command+I:

• I press Command+I to invoke the find panel
  • I type ‘remove’ (for example) and it finds that text in the current document.
  • Pressing Command+I finds the next instance of that text (pressing Command+F at this point brings focus back to the find box and highlights the word there).

Pressing CTRL+F or CTRL+I at any point has zero effect. Can anyone shed any light on what I’m doing wrong?

0 Likes