Sublime Forum

20100613 Beta

20100613 is out. There are a few auto-indentation related fixes, the major one being that ctrl+v is now a plain paste, rather than pasteAndIndent. There are some situations where pasteAndIndent will never be able to do the right thing, so it wasnā€™t a great choice for the default behaviour.

Iā€™ve also dusted off some old project functionality, so thereā€™s now an option to view the project in a tree view on the left, which can be activated via the View/Project Panel menu. The tree control itself is fairly clunky, but it should be a reasonable stop gap.

0 Likes

Excellent. You kept the ā€œtab adds lots of indentationā€, which I love.
By the way, what did you mean by ā€œWhen there are multiple bindings for a command, the most recent is displayed, rather than the firstā€? Displayed where? :neutral_face:

Edan

0 Likes

Yeah, ā€œtab adds lots of indentationā€ is still on by default, but will now be disable if autoIndent is set to false.

The comment re: displaying bindings is for the menus, where the applicable key binding is determined per-command.

0 Likes

Thank you for displaying the recent keybinding in the menu.

0 Likes

Did you change something in the rendering code? I expect the problem is on my end, but still it is worth asking:

The DirectX mode now always displays blurry when I launch Sublime Text, and maximizing/restoring twice in a row does not fix it (after a single maximize/restore it looks okay, but after the second one it returns to being blurry; resizing by dragging the border of the restored window helps; maximizing/restoring, restarting Sublime Text and maximizing/restoring again also helps), and in past I have experienced this once and switching to OpenGL eliminated the issue, but now the OpenGL mode is unusable at all. I have taken a screenshot of each mode: DirectX and OpenGL. (In the OpenGL mode, the current line is always readable and changing the cursor changes which line is readable.)

0 Likes

many thanks for the tree view, its clunky but i think that will improve with time (keyboard navigation etc.) :smile:

would it be possible to add a shortcut to show/hide the tree panel?

0 Likes

I suppose itā€™s been included by popular demand, but I fail to see the point of the tree view side panel, honestly. It doesnā€™t blend well with the editorā€™s UI. Actually, it looks completely out of place.

If I understood why people need it, Iā€™d perhaps learn to appreciate it, but in terms of usability and experience it feels wrong.

Other than that, the latest beta is working great.

0 Likes

@guillermooo: I also donā€™t like tree views, but they do serve 3 purposes.

• Most people are much more used to them. This doesnā€™t make them better, but it does make them a feature people dislike living without.
  • Tree views are much better for things having to do with exploring the project. For example, on a new project, I like to look around it to see what files there are, what the directory structure is like, etc. This makes it much easier.
  • Creating new dirs/files is also much easier when using a treeview.
  • Potentially, specifying searches on subdirs could be much easier with a treeview.
0 Likes

Hey edanm,

This summarizes perfectly my opinion. I donā€™t think itā€™s a positive thing, thoughā€¦ I love Sublimeā€™s design and personality, and the new tree view looks like compromising both. However, if the majority of users ask for it, then thereā€™s little that can be done about it.

[quote]* Tree views are much better for things having to do with exploring the project. For example, on a new project, I like to look around it to see what files there are, what the directory structure is like, etc. This makes it much easier.

• Creating new dirs/files is also much easier when using a treeview.[/quote]

Maybe Iā€™m too used to use the command line, but these things seem to fall out of Sublimeā€™s scope at the moment. I consider it a text editor, not a file browser. In any case, I see your point.

The current search in project feature is quite solid. I think the tree view is convenient because itā€™s familiar, so weā€™re back to point #1. Iā€™m not claiming that the existing features are perfect, but Iā€™d much rather see them evolve than see the editorā€™s become less consistent andā€“worse yetā€“more mainstream. On the positive side, this is probably a sign that itā€™s doing well commercially.

Also, even tree views are becoming obsolete in OSes in favour of search, which is what Sublime offered up to now.

Iā€™ll try to be more constructive later by posting some ideas to add to the quick panel view and maybe even to the project panel.

[/rant]

0 Likes

This is a subject thatā€™s near and dear to my heart.
You wrote:

This is not true, imo.

The reason I use Sublime, and not some other editor (like Vim or Emacs, both of which are better at ā€œpure text editingā€), is exactly because Sublime does know what a project is. Every editor I tried lacked the ā€œquick-open from projectā€ panel, which is a dealbreaker for me when working on an actual project (and not just messing with the editor for the fun of it).

I spent a long time trying to get Emacs/Vim/Notepad++ to understand that I have a folder with a bunch of files, that Iā€™d like to be able to open at will using something close to the quick-open found in Sublime. And I gave up in frustration, because they are just file editors. And thatā€™s just the basics, moving between files. Never mind ā€œadvancedā€ stuff like tagging, which is even more annoying.

What Iā€™m trying to say is, Sublime works so well because it does have ā€œprojectā€ features, it does understand that these arenā€™t just scattered files thrown randomly all over my file system. Thatā€™s not to say I like the new project explorer (very limited and not good looking at all), and thatā€™s not to say the ā€œquick openā€ isnā€™t enough for me. But I really hope that Sublime keeps developing in a way thatā€™s aware of the fact that I use it to manage my projects, not just edit files.

Of course, now Iā€™m hooked on Sublime because of its other amazing found-nowhere-else features, like multiple selections. But I still wouldnā€™t use it if I couldnā€™t manage projects easily with it.
[/rant]

Sublime rocks! :smile:

0 Likes

Just to clarify, I like the idea of project support, but I just donā€™t like the tree view for that.

0 Likes

Treeview is useful when taking on existing projects where you may not necessarily be familiar with the existing directory structure and/or file naming conventions. Coming onto a project that is already 500+ source files large, being able to browse the tree within my editor is hugely helpful.

0 Likes

How do I show the new project TreeView?

0 Likes

click View/Project Panel in the menu.

0 Likes

Thanks myel.

Maybe Iā€™m missing something, but pasteAndIndent (Ctrl-Shift-V) doesnā€™t seem to be acting right in this build.

In 20100529, pasteAndIndent behaved as youā€™d expect it to. Now, it either seems to paste identically to the normal Ctrl-V paste, or else it pastes the text block and left-aligns (completely unindents) the pasted text.

Still trying to figure out what pattern/logic it is now following, and if it is actually working as desired, what I am not grokking here.

0 Likes

Why am I getting 8 spaces when I press tab when tabwidth is set to 4?

Autoindent is off.

Itā€™s really frustrating.

0 Likes

Seems there was something in my session hanging around. Deleting the session files seems to have helped.

0 Likes

Might someone be able to point out what specific settings will get me set back up with the indentation settings used in 20100501ā€¦ I removed the reindent keybinding, but Iā€™m still enountering this:

If I have a block likeā€¦

class Klass(object): pass

and I press return a couple times with my cursor at the start of the first line

I end up with

[code]

class Klass(object):
pass[/code]

I donā€™t want to completely disable the autoindentā€¦ (has it even changed? Iā€™m sure Iā€™m missing something obvious.)
Thanks.

• toothrot
0 Likes

Amen brother! Btw, as long as thereā€™s a control variable to enable/disable the project explorer via config Iā€™m all for it. Sublime needs to grow, Iā€™ve tried to push it around through my peers and Iā€™m astonished how much the lack of a project explorer scares them away from an otherwise Sublime application. I would kill if this was to become bloat-ware, but right now I think some compromises are to be made in order for ST to break through and gain followers, momentum and promote further development inside and around it (plugins).

Cheers!

0 Likes