Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

[SOLVED] ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

[SOLVED] ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby Arjan on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:55 pm

(NOTE: This was solved, see http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14417&start=20#p54868)

So jon told me I was rude and basically implied I was a liar because he had never seen slow speed on win64. Maybe my posts were getting a bit angry, but after weeks with no replies as a paying customer, I am starting to get really frustrated. ST3 solves important problems for me, so it's a shame it doesn't actually work on my project...

So I'll try to explain my setup.

First of all, it's important to realize I use the EXACT same project on ST2 on the same machine with no problems whatsoever. Moreover, I use the exact same project on ST3 on a Linux machine with no problems whatsoever.

Recent ST3 builds on Windows 8 64 bit, however, is useless for me.

Project: 80,000 files, a few hundred of these are massive sql scripts. The project opens fine, but after a while, ST3 is unresponsive. The weird thing is that indexing/ST processes appear to be sleeping. Some sort of deadlock involved?

If there are some logs or something like that is available, I am happy to post these.

IIRC, the problem was introduced in build 3019 from March, but I'm not 100% sure.
Last edited by Arjan on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arjan
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby jbjornson on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Jesus Arjan, stop being a Diva. Jon said one of your posts was rude (not you) and never said you were a liar, just that he wasn't able to reproduce your particular problem.
jbjornson
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby wbond on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Have you tried setting "index_files" to false?
wbond
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 am

Re: ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby jbrooksuk on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Do you have any file_exclude_patterns and folder_exclude_patterns setup? If not, are there any files/folders which could be ignored by Sublime?
jbrooksuk
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:37 am
Location: England

Re: ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby qgates on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Arjan, perhaps you can take some steps to try to narrow the cause of the problem. For example, try excluding some folders with particular files, or taking some of your massive sql files temporarily out of the project, run a portable install with no plugins, don't use a project but just drag the folder branch into an empty project etc. etc..

If you can get some clues as to what might be causing the problem, that will certainly help any debugging effort.

The problem is that few if any others seem to be able to reproduce the problem you're seeing.

The only performance issue I've seen with ST3 - and I'm also working with some projects that have many thousands of files - is with editing particularly large files or files with particularly long lines (500K or longer). However I see almost identical issues with ST2.
qgates
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby GrantSP on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:02 am

Perhaps you could also explain why you need to run these, apparently, critical projects on three different setups?

Why the need to have the EXACT project worked on the SAME machine with 2 different versions of ST? With, I assume, both having purchased licenses.
Surely if you have purchased a license, you have already decided to use this software?
If then you are decided, why edit projects on the SAME machine with DIFFERENT versions?
If you are just testing the differences of the various releases, Linux over Windows or ST2 over ST3, why subject your important project to possible error by using untried software?
Having Linux an one machine and Windows on another makes much more sense, I can see why that might be a case. Stressing it with a LARGE project also makes sense.
However, by using this project to stress the software, it seems like you are deliberately setting out to push something to breaking point in an effort just to provoke a response. I hope that is not the case.

Add this on top of the already mentioned suggestions and re-examine your point of contention.

As to the size of your project. Seriously, 80,000 files?!
Surely that could be broken into more manageable chunks? I cannot imagine ANY project that would NEED access to that many files at the same time.
Your work flow would greatly increase if you could divide and conquer your project.

Putting aside any misgivings I may have over your intentions with these posts.
If you provide more detail about your setup perhaps ANY problems that may exist would have a better chance of being solved.
You mention you run ST2 and ST3 on the same machine.
Are they both on the same operating system, Win 8 64 bit?
If so are there any conflicts with the two versions with regard to the installed plugins?
Are there any conflicts with Windows DLLs and the two versions?
How did you determine there is a "indexing/ST processes" problem? What was it?

The more detail you give the more chance you will be aided. By just crying fowl all the time you are just, as was said before, acting like a diva.
GrantSP
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:11 am

Re: ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby Evoken on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:30 am

somedude wrote:If your project has more than 10000 files, you are either doing it wrong or you're Mark Zuckerberg.


CodeKit FTW!
Evoken
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby Arjan on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:57 pm

GrantSP wrote:Perhaps you could also explain why you need to run these, apparently, critical projects on three different setups?
Why the need to have the EXACT project worked on the SAME machine with 2 different versions of ST? With, I assume, both having purchased licenses.


Get a clue. I use ST2 on the same machine because ST3 doesn't work. (I have ST3 to get the updates until it does work)

GrantSP wrote:If you provide more detail about your setup perhaps ANY problems that may exist would have a better chance of being solved.
You mention you run ST2 and ST3 on the same machine.
Are they both on the same operating system, Win 8 64 bit?


Yes.

GrantSP wrote:'If so are there any conflicts with the two versions with regard to the installed plugins?
Are there any conflicts with Windows DLLs and the two versions?


No

GrantSP wrote:How did you determine there is a "indexing/ST processes" problem? What was it?


I used ProcExplorer and noticed the problem already described
Arjan
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby Arjan on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:59 pm

wbond wrote:Have you tried setting "index_files" to false?


Yes, that obviously "fixes" the problems, but I need to have it on.
Arjan
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: ST3 slow on Win8 64bit

Postby tito on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:20 pm

When ST is opened, the project files are changed by other processes? The problem goes away if you unplug the network?
Give APIs, let the community build the rest!
https://github.com/titoBouzout
tito
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:27 pm
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests