Sublime Forum

SublimeLinter3 - We need your help!

Hi folks,

According to the Package Control site, SublimeLinter is the 4th most popular plugin for Sublime Text, with 224K installs. That’s an incredible number. Thank you to everyone!

We all want SublimeLinter to become fully compatible with Sublime Text 3, and we want it to be better supported. In moving to ST3 (and python 3), we decided to start from scratch with a new architecture based on the fantastic work of Ryan Hileman, author of sublimelint, that allows us to get the most out of both ST3 and python 3. And speaking of sublimelint, we plan to join forces with Ryan and merge sublimelint and SublimeLinter, so we can pool our resources.

To find out more about what you can expect from SublimeLinter3, read about it here: https://github.com/SublimeLinter/SublimeLinter3#sublimelinter3

To make all this happen any time soon, we need your help. I have lots of other projects that currently have a higher priority than SublimeLinter3. If you value SublimeLinter and want to see it running on ST3 sooner rather than later, please consider donating. If we can raise $3-5K, I’ll move SublimeLinter3 to top of my priority list and finish it off within a week or two.

Thanks again,

• Aparajita Fishman
    SublimeLinter maintainer
0 Likes

This post appears misleading.

By “we decided to start from scratch with a new architecture”: it looks like you took the HEAD of github.com/lunixbochs/sublimelint/tree/st3 from five months ago (which appears to work for me already on the Sublime Text 3 beta) and renamed it to SublimeLinter3 in a fresh repository.

0 Likes

If you mean intentionally misleading, you couldn’t be farther from the truth. And since you took the time to point this out, I’ll have to assume you have contributed a significant amount of free time and code to the open source community, hence the source of your concern.

By “we decided to start from scratch with a new architecture”, it means we threw out our existing code base and started with a new architecture: sublimelint’s. Do you really think I would do that without Ryan’s knowledge? We talked with him about merging, and he showed us what he had done. I took one look at it and saw it was way better code — so much better that I was willing to throw out our existing code base and re-implement missing SublimeLinter features on top of it. So I informed him that we would work from his ST3 branch. In my book that’s a compliment.

I have modified the original post to be more explicit, but you neglected to note that I did specifically say in the original post that “we plan to join forces with Ryan Hileman and merge sublimelint and SublimeLinter”. It isn’t like I kept the relationship between SublimeLinter and sublimelint a secret.

And in case anyone is wondering, I decided from the beginning that I would give a good chunk of whatever money is raised to Ryan, precisely because I’m building on his work. If you doubt my honesty, go and ask him if that is true.

So hard to build in this world, so easy to destroy! Now if you will excuse me, I have to get back to get back to giving hundreds of hours of my time for no — or ridiculously low — pay for the benefit of others.

• Aparajita
0 Likes

I may understand some duplicates packages that do similar things, but with different concepts. But I don’t understand SublimeLinter, and even less given that is a fork now from a package (sublimelint) that just works. I always used sublimelint because performs better.

When I saw the thread title, I though you were going to joining forces with sublimelint :confused:

0 Likes

I’m glad you saw the title. Did you read the original post completely?

I really can’t understand why it isn’t clear that we are planning to merge sublimelint and SublimeLinter.

• Aparajita
0 Likes

Just to throw in some positive vibes: SublimeLinter is awesome, extremely popular and a great addition to ST. Many thanks to the developer(s) for all the effort!!!

I will donate something hoping that others will as well. From my limited experience with donations for open source project, the goal of $3-5K is (unfortunately) lofty. But good luck and I hope you will find time for the project anyways.

0 Likes