Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Keyboard tab and pane navigation.

Re: Keyboard tab and pane navigation.

Postby jps on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:08 am

sublimator wrote:Control +[1-9] for select tab in current pane

Select tab in current pane will be in the next beta, so while I'm not planning to make this part of the default set of key bindings, it will be straight forward to set it up.

sublimator wrote:Control + Alt + [1-4] then [1-9]? for select pane with an optional tab selection afterwards (only if not holding down ctrl or alt and only if it's the very next key pressed).
I suppose extending that idea to move to pane, so you can precisely place the file in which tab position you want as well.

It's _almost_ possible, except there's presently no way to have discrete presses of ctrl alt or shift be part of a key binding - they're only addressable as modifiers on other keys atm.

sublimator wrote:I would like to be able to set the option for "nextView" and "prevView" to cycle through "all open files" __if you only have one file per pane__. Currently if you have two panes open side by side with only 1 file in each, you can't cycle between each other without using focus pane. Ctrl-tab is pretty ingrained in a lot of peoples muscle memory when it comes to editing only two files.

I'm concerned for the potential of something like this to cause confusion - it'll work fine to cycle between panes, until you accidentally open two files in the same pane, and then you're 'stuck' there. I'm more than happy to add a command to cycle between panes though, and perhaps binding it to, say, ctrl+alt+tab
jps
Site Admin

Show Two Files Head-To-Head

Postby SteveCooperOrg on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:50 pm

I've found that I only really split windows if I've got a few files. If I have two files open in one pane, and I choose a Double Pane command, I invariably want to push the second file onto the second pane. (YMMV)

Can I suggest that, if you have two files in the current pane, and split the pane, the second file is moved to the new pane? Focus is kept in the active file.
Maybe what you're looking for is at the http://www.sublimetextwiki.com
SteveCooperOrg

Postby jps on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:03 am

Steve: I like the sound of that, though I think it makes more sense to move the current file to the newly added pane, that way it works more how you'd expect with > 2 files open.
jps
Site Admin

Postby SteveCooperOrg on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Jon, I don't quite know how it should work, but I think buffer order should be stable. That is, if I have one pane with two files

[ a, b ]

and I split to two panes, it becomes

[ a ][ b ]

not

[ b ][ a ]

no matter whether *a* or *b* is selected. Focus always stays with the originally-selected buffer.

I can see this being a bit of a monster, really. I'll be happy with anything so long as two files splits into two panes as [ a b ] => [ a ][ b ] and three panes as [ a b c ] => [ a ][ b ][ c ].
Maybe what you're looking for is at the http://www.sublimetextwiki.com
SteveCooperOrg

Postby jps on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:36 am

Steve, that's a great point - buffer order is an important property to maintain. Brain dump follows...

What I think should be optimised (in order of importance):

* Keeping the current view focussed
* Maintaining the relative order of the views
* Moving the views around as little as possible
* Keep a nice balance of views / pane

Given this, I think a reasonable option is to distribute all the views to the right of the current view amongst the newly opened panes, unless this would leave some panes empty, in which case more views will be moved (starting at the current view and continuing to the left).

This will ensure that [a b]->[a][b] and [a b c]->[a][b][c]

I'll give it a go and see how it feels.
jps
Site Admin

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests