Sublime Forum

20100613 Beta

20100613 is out. There are a few auto-indentation related fixes, the major one being that ctrl+v is now a plain paste, rather than pasteAndIndent. There are some situations where pasteAndIndent will never be able to do the right thing, so it wasn’t a great choice for the default behaviour.

I’ve also dusted off some old project functionality, so there’s now an option to view the project in a tree view on the left, which can be activated via the View/Project Panel menu. The tree control itself is fairly clunky, but it should be a reasonable stop gap.

0 Likes

Excellent. You kept the “tab adds lots of indentation”, which I love.
By the way, what did you mean by “When there are multiple bindings for a command, the most recent is displayed, rather than the first”? Displayed where? :neutral_face:

Edan

0 Likes

Yeah, “tab adds lots of indentation” is still on by default, but will now be disable if autoIndent is set to false.

The comment re: displaying bindings is for the menus, where the applicable key binding is determined per-command.

0 Likes

Thank you for displaying the recent keybinding in the menu.

0 Likes

Did you change something in the rendering code? I expect the problem is on my end, but still it is worth asking:

The DirectX mode now always displays blurry when I launch Sublime Text, and maximizing/restoring twice in a row does not fix it (after a single maximize/restore it looks okay, but after the second one it returns to being blurry; resizing by dragging the border of the restored window helps; maximizing/restoring, restarting Sublime Text and maximizing/restoring again also helps), and in past I have experienced this once and switching to OpenGL eliminated the issue, but now the OpenGL mode is unusable at all. I have taken a screenshot of each mode: DirectX and OpenGL. (In the OpenGL mode, the current line is always readable and changing the cursor changes which line is readable.)

0 Likes

many thanks for the tree view, its clunky but i think that will improve with time (keyboard navigation etc.) :smile:

would it be possible to add a shortcut to show/hide the tree panel?

0 Likes

I suppose it’s been included by popular demand, but I fail to see the point of the tree view side panel, honestly. It doesn’t blend well with the editor’s UI. Actually, it looks completely out of place.

If I understood why people need it, I’d perhaps learn to appreciate it, but in terms of usability and experience it feels wrong.

Other than that, the latest beta is working great.

0 Likes

@guillermooo: I also don’t like tree views, but they do serve 3 purposes.

• Most people are much more used to them. This doesn’t make them better, but it does make them a feature people dislike living without.
  • Tree views are much better for things having to do with exploring the project. For example, on a new project, I like to look around it to see what files there are, what the directory structure is like, etc. This makes it much easier.
  • Creating new dirs/files is also much easier when using a treeview.
  • Potentially, specifying searches on subdirs could be much easier with a treeview.
0 Likes

Hey edanm,

This summarizes perfectly my opinion. I don’t think it’s a positive thing, though… I love Sublime’s design and personality, and the new tree view looks like compromising both. However, if the majority of users ask for it, then there’s little that can be done about it.

[quote]* Tree views are much better for things having to do with exploring the project. For example, on a new project, I like to look around it to see what files there are, what the directory structure is like, etc. This makes it much easier.

• Creating new dirs/files is also much easier when using a treeview.[/quote]

Maybe I’m too used to use the command line, but these things seem to fall out of Sublime’s scope at the moment. I consider it a text editor, not a file browser. In any case, I see your point.

The current search in project feature is quite solid. I think the tree view is convenient because it’s familiar, so we’re back to point #1. I’m not claiming that the existing features are perfect, but I’d much rather see them evolve than see the editor’s become less consistent and–worse yet–more mainstream. On the positive side, this is probably a sign that it’s doing well commercially.

Also, even tree views are becoming obsolete in OSes in favour of search, which is what Sublime offered up to now.

I’ll try to be more constructive later by posting some ideas to add to the quick panel view and maybe even to the project panel.

[/rant]

0 Likes

This is a subject that’s near and dear to my heart.
You wrote:

This is not true, imo.

The reason I use Sublime, and not some other editor (like Vim or Emacs, both of which are better at “pure text editing”), is exactly because Sublime does know what a project is. Every editor I tried lacked the “quick-open from project” panel, which is a dealbreaker for me when working on an actual project (and not just messing with the editor for the fun of it).

I spent a long time trying to get Emacs/Vim/Notepad++ to understand that I have a folder with a bunch of files, that I’d like to be able to open at will using something close to the quick-open found in Sublime. And I gave up in frustration, because they are just file editors. And that’s just the basics, moving between files. Never mind “advanced” stuff like tagging, which is even more annoying.

What I’m trying to say is, Sublime works so well because it does have “project” features, it does understand that these aren’t just scattered files thrown randomly all over my file system. That’s not to say I like the new project explorer (very limited and not good looking at all), and that’s not to say the “quick open” isn’t enough for me. But I really hope that Sublime keeps developing in a way that’s aware of the fact that I use it to manage my projects, not just edit files.

Of course, now I’m hooked on Sublime because of its other amazing found-nowhere-else features, like multiple selections. But I still wouldn’t use it if I couldn’t manage projects easily with it.
[/rant]

Sublime rocks! :smile:

0 Likes

Just to clarify, I like the idea of project support, but I just don’t like the tree view for that.

0 Likes

Treeview is useful when taking on existing projects where you may not necessarily be familiar with the existing directory structure and/or file naming conventions. Coming onto a project that is already 500+ source files large, being able to browse the tree within my editor is hugely helpful.

0 Likes

How do I show the new project TreeView?

0 Likes

click View/Project Panel in the menu.

0 Likes

Thanks myel.

Maybe I’m missing something, but pasteAndIndent (Ctrl-Shift-V) doesn’t seem to be acting right in this build.

In 20100529, pasteAndIndent behaved as you’d expect it to. Now, it either seems to paste identically to the normal Ctrl-V paste, or else it pastes the text block and left-aligns (completely unindents) the pasted text.

Still trying to figure out what pattern/logic it is now following, and if it is actually working as desired, what I am not grokking here.

0 Likes

Why am I getting 8 spaces when I press tab when tabwidth is set to 4?

Autoindent is off.

It’s really frustrating.

0 Likes

Seems there was something in my session hanging around. Deleting the session files seems to have helped.

0 Likes

Might someone be able to point out what specific settings will get me set back up with the indentation settings used in 20100501… I removed the reindent keybinding, but I’m still enountering this:

If I have a block like…

class Klass(object): pass

and I press return a couple times with my cursor at the start of the first line

I end up with

[code]

class Klass(object):
pass[/code]

I don’t want to completely disable the autoindent… (has it even changed? I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.)
Thanks.

• toothrot
0 Likes

Amen brother! Btw, as long as there’s a control variable to enable/disable the project explorer via config I’m all for it. Sublime needs to grow, I’ve tried to push it around through my peers and I’m astonished how much the lack of a project explorer scares them away from an otherwise Sublime application. I would kill if this was to become bloat-ware, but right now I think some compromises are to be made in order for ST to break through and gain followers, momentum and promote further development inside and around it (plugins).

Cheers!

0 Likes