Sublime Forum

Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

[quote=“tito”]wow, difficult, some possible solutions:

1. Install in another folder/drive

2. Use the portable version

3. When the problem popups, try to search all files sorted by last modified, and see if some is doing something nasty…

4. Create a pyton script/macro that open all the files sublime-settings and run Save, that should reload the settings of that file…

5. Out of imagination[/quote]

6. I only have one drive on this computer.

7. It’s a Mac, so there’s no portable version.

8. I’ll try that next time.

9. The problem is that files don’t reload. If you save them, Sublime just saves them and doesn’t reload them. Saving them extra times doesn’t help.

0 Likes

[quote=“qgates”]Hmm. A sideways thought. Have you checked for errors and fixed the disk filesystem(s) recently? You don’t mention the OS you’re running, but sublime’s reload mechanism will likely rely on the notify subsystem in the host OS. If anything’s wrong with the filesystem, the notify system may misbehave - I’ve seen that before on Windows and Linux with other apps, though never with sublime.

Give it a try :smile:[/quote]

OS X, and no disk problems (just checked!). Also the fact that trashing the application data folder fixes it makes me think it’s not a filesystem problem.

0 Likes

Happening again! Wooo!!!

0 Likes

This happens to me on occasion too. So, you are not alone. I have not been able to find a solution. It only happens once in a while.

0 Likes

My workaround is this:
Move “Installed Packages”, “Packages”, and my license file out of the data folder.
Delete the data folder.
Reopen Sublime, and quit without even putting in my license.
Delete the autogenerated “Installed Packages” and “Packages” folders.
Move the old “Installed Packages” and “Packages” back, along with the license.
Good to go.

@jps: obviously this isn’t a problem with my packages, because I just move the old ones back in. Deleting all the contents of the data folder doesn’t work; I actually have to delete the folder itself. Let me know if I can give you any other info, because I’d love to see a fix!

0 Likes

In your initial post, you indicate that restarting Sublime Text fixes the issue, but then you say you also have to delete the data folder. Can you confirm which action fixes the issue?

If restarting the application doesn’t help, and deleting the directory is required, then it points to an underlying issue in Apple’s FSEvents API. It may be related to feedback.livereload.com/knowledg … -of-certai, for example

0 Likes

Personally, I have mainly noticed this issue on Windows. I do most of my coding at work, and I only use Windows at work. For me, restarting fixes the issue. I haven’t noticed it on my OSX machine, but since I don’t code nearly as much on OSX, there is statistically less of a chance of me seeing it there.

So I don’t think this issue only resides with Apple’s API, or maybe adzenith’s issues and mine are similar, but not the same.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]In your initial post, you indicate that restarting Sublime Text fixes the issue, but then you say you also have to delete the data folder. Can you confirm which action fixes the issue?

If restarting the application doesn’t help, and deleting the directory is required, then it points to an underlying issue in Apple’s FSEvents API. It may be related to feedback.livereload.com/knowledg … -of-certai, for example[/quote]

Sorry, I meant that when I restart the program it reads the settings from disk once, on opening. So every time I edit my preferences I have to close the program to get it to reload the settings. That is to say, restarting is a workaround that works only once, and is not a fix.

0 Likes

Ah hah, got it.

Given there are known issues with the FSEvents API that appear congruent with the issue you’re seeing (e.g., openradar.appspot.com/10207999), then I’m going to assume that’s what’s happening unless further information comes to light. That link indicates that renaming the folder to a different case and back will fix the issue, so it may be worth giving that a try as a workaround.

0 Likes

[quote=“facelessuser”]Personally, I have mainly noticed this issue on Windows. I do most of my coding at work, and I only use Windows at work. For me, restarting fixes the issue. I haven’t noticed it on my OSX machine, but since I don’t code nearly as much on OSX, there is statistically less of a chance of me seeing it there.

So I don’t think this issue only resides with Apple’s API, or maybe adzenith’s issues and mine are similar, but not the same.[/quote]

I mentioned a similar issue on windows server 2012 in these threads. hong asked a couple questions, but we never did get to the bottom of anything. It’s still happening.

https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/file-change-detection/21/1#p48908

http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12619&start=20#p49343

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Ah hah, got it.

Given there are known issues with the FSEvents API that appear congruent with the issue you’re seeing (e.g., openradar.appspot.com/10207999), then I’m going to assume that’s what’s happening unless further information comes to light. That link indicates that renaming the folder to a different case and back will fix the issue, so it may be worth giving that a try as a workaround.[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll try that next time and report back if it works! I assume it should, because deleting and recreating the folder works, and it’s obviously much more convenient.

0 Likes

Just wanted to report that I’m seeing this on Windows 7 with the latest build (3057). I don’t know if it’s related but I’m syncing my User folder through Dropbox with my OS X machine.

Still, I’m seeing this constantly on my W7 machine. Unless I restart ST it never “gets” the updated preferences.

0 Likes

[quote=“adzenith”]My workaround is this:
Move “Installed Packages”, “Packages”, and my license file out of the data folder.
Delete the data folder.
Reopen Sublime, and quit without even putting in my license.
Delete the autogenerated “Installed Packages” and “Packages” folders.
Move the old “Installed Packages” and “Packages” back, along with the license.
Good to go.

@jps: obviously this isn’t a problem with my packages, because I just move the old ones back in. Deleting all the contents of the data folder doesn’t work; I actually have to delete the folder itself. Let me know if I can give you any other info, because I’d love to see a fix![/quote]

I tried this and it didn’t work (both by moving “Installed Packages” & “Packages” **and **by deleting the “Data” folder altogether).

Also I forgot to mention that I’m using the portable version if it matters.

0 Likes

[quote=“adzenith”]

[quote=“jps”]Ah hah, got it.

Given there are known issues with the FSEvents API that appear congruent with the issue you’re seeing (e.g., openradar.appspot.com/10207999), then I’m going to assume that’s what’s happening unless further information comes to light. That link indicates that renaming the folder to a different case and back will fix the issue, so it may be worth giving that a try as a workaround.[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll try that next time and report back if it works! I assume it should, because deleting and recreating the folder works, and it’s obviously much more convenient.[/quote]

Update: It does not work.
Repro: Quit ST3. Rename the data folder “Sublime Text 3” to “sublime text 3”, then back to “Sublime Text 3”. Open ST3. Reloading still doesn’t work.

From Kicweed’s comments, it sounds like this is a bug on Windows too maybe? Anything else I could try?

0 Likes

Just in case you thought this was fixed: no, it’s still broken. Any other things you’d like me to try?

0 Likes

I had this problem when I symlinked all my preferences to my Dropbox folder. I then changed the symlinks to hard links to maintain the modification timestamp in the Packages folder and it solved my problem.

0 Likes

As I mentioned in the OP, I have no links in my setup.

0 Likes

@jps: Any chance you could take a look at this at some point? I would love to give you any and all debug data that I can.

0 Likes

Given that Sublime Text isn’t receiving change notifications on the directory even after restarting, my gut feeling is that it’s an underlying FSEvents issue. It would be good to verify this though: perhaps you could try running github.com/guard/guard, which I understand also uses the FSEvents API, and see if it stops seeing changes in the directory at the same time (without falling back to polling etc).

0 Likes

Cool! I’ll play around with Guard and see if it receives notifications. I’ll let you know what I find.
Thanks!

0 Likes