Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby adzenith on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:56 pm

jps wrote:In your initial post, you indicate that restarting Sublime Text fixes the issue, but then you say you also have to delete the data folder. Can you confirm which action fixes the issue?

If restarting the application doesn't help, and deleting the directory is required, then it points to an underlying issue in Apple's FSEvents API. It may be related to http://feedback.livereload.com/knowledg ... -of-certai, for example


Sorry, I meant that when I restart the program it reads the settings from disk once, on opening. So every time I edit my preferences I have to close the program to get it to reload the settings. That is to say, restarting is a workaround that works only once, and is not a fix.
adzenith
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby jps on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:21 am

Ah hah, got it.

Given there are known issues with the FSEvents API that appear congruent with the issue you're seeing (e.g., http://openradar.appspot.com/10207999), then I'm going to assume that's what's happening unless further information comes to light. That link indicates that renaming the folder to a different case and back will fix the issue, so it may be worth giving that a try as a workaround.
jps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby htoothrot on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:42 am

facelessuser wrote:Personally, I have mainly noticed this issue on Windows. I do most of my coding at work, and I only use Windows at work. For me, restarting fixes the issue. I haven't noticed it on my OSX machine, but since I don't code nearly as much on OSX, there is statistically less of a chance of me seeing it there.

So I don't think this issue only resides with Apple's API, or maybe adzenith's issues and mine are similar, but not the same.



I mentioned a similar issue on windows server 2012 in these threads. hong asked a couple questions, but we never did get to the bottom of anything. It's still happening.

http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12397&start=10#p48908

http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12619&start=20#p49343
htoothrot
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby adzenith on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:36 pm

jps wrote:Ah hah, got it.

Given there are known issues with the FSEvents API that appear congruent with the issue you're seeing (e.g., http://openradar.appspot.com/10207999), then I'm going to assume that's what's happening unless further information comes to light. That link indicates that renaming the folder to a different case and back will fix the issue, so it may be worth giving that a try as a workaround.

Thanks, I'll try that next time and report back if it works! I assume it should, because deleting and recreating the folder works, and it's obviously much more convenient.
adzenith
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby Kicweed on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Just wanted to report that I'm seeing this on Windows 7 with the latest build (3057). I don't know if it's related but I'm syncing my User folder through Dropbox with my OS X machine.

Still, I'm seeing this constantly on my W7 machine. Unless I restart ST it never "gets" the updated preferences.
Kicweed
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 am

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby Kicweed on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:25 pm

adzenith wrote:My workaround is this:
Move "Installed Packages", "Packages", and my license file out of the data folder.
Delete the data folder.
Reopen Sublime, and quit without even putting in my license.
Delete the autogenerated "Installed Packages" and "Packages" folders.
Move the old "Installed Packages" and "Packages" back, along with the license.
Good to go.

@jps: obviously this isn't a problem with my packages, because I just move the old ones back in. Deleting all the contents of the data folder doesn't work; I actually have to delete the folder itself. Let me know if I can give you any other info, because I'd love to see a fix!


I tried this and it didn't work (both by moving "Installed Packages" & "Packages" and by deleting the "Data" folder altogether).

Also I forgot to mention that I'm using the portable version if it matters.
Kicweed
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 am

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby adzenith on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:01 pm

adzenith wrote:
jps wrote:Ah hah, got it.

Given there are known issues with the FSEvents API that appear congruent with the issue you're seeing (e.g., http://openradar.appspot.com/10207999), then I'm going to assume that's what's happening unless further information comes to light. That link indicates that renaming the folder to a different case and back will fix the issue, so it may be worth giving that a try as a workaround.

Thanks, I'll try that next time and report back if it works! I assume it should, because deleting and recreating the folder works, and it's obviously much more convenient.

Update: It does not work.
Repro: Quit ST3. Rename the data folder "Sublime Text 3" to "sublime text 3", then back to "Sublime Text 3". Open ST3. Reloading still doesn't work.

From Kicweed's comments, it sounds like this is a bug on Windows too maybe? Anything else I could try?
adzenith
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby adzenith on Tue May 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Just in case you thought this was fixed: no, it's still broken. Any other things you'd like me to try?
adzenith
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby Ksieber on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:48 pm

I had this problem when I symlinked all my preferences to my Dropbox folder. I then changed the symlinks to hard links to maintain the modification timestamp in the Packages folder and it solved my problem.
Ksieber
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Re: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do

Postby adzenith on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:35 pm

As I mentioned in the OP, I have no links in my setup.
adzenith
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Previous

Return to Technical Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 25 guests