Sublime Forum

Insertion of double quotes after double arrows

I tried out Sublime a long time ago (before I did much coding), and thought it was ok…I tried the newest beta last week, and now it is just amazing to me. However, I just ran into one little thing I found odd.

I know that if you insert punctuation such as " ’ < ( { then Sublime will automatically put the matching one there, unless there is already text to the right of the cursor. This means that if Sublime inserts something automatically, and then you try to insert more, it won’t automatically correct it. That may be hard to understand, so let me give an example…

Start typing that, and watch what happens…when you insert the first quotation mark, the second one won’t be inserted because of the > directly to the right of it.

I guess what I am thinking is that if the text to the right was auto inserted, then maybe still auto insert more text. It would be a special case, but kind of like how Sublime lets you type over the second mark ( think “” – the second one is put automatically, but if you type 2 manually, it types over the 2nd).

I don’t know if this is easy to fix, or even important enough to consider, but I just wanted to point it out.

Thank you for all your work on Sublime; I am finding something new every time I open it!

EDIT: So I realized that if you type a parenthesis, then type another parenthesis inside of it, it does add the double. Maybe it just depends on which characters are involved.

0 Likes

Great to see another happy Sublime user in our midst! :smile:

I agree, this sounds like an oversight. I’m not even sure why the auto-completion is turned off in the first place, if there are characters following. It seems like most of the time I notice it’s off, I want it to actually work!

Having said that, my issue is probably an easy fix in the keymappings. What you’re talking about sounds like something that will need to be added to the core of Sublime.

0 Likes

As I use it immediately afterward, I notice that this problem hardly ever arises. I think it may only occur if the outside punctuation is <>, because with () and ] it works correctly. And as for a happy user, once I figured out how to use textmate color schemes, that just took it to another level. Now I’m running a theme from inspiration.sweyla.com that I fine tuned to be perfect!

0 Likes