Sublime Forum

Can't open file WinXP SP2+

Hi there,

at work on my Win2k3, Sublime works grand. However at home with my WinXP SP2+ (English) it’s completely unusable. Haven’t tried the new beta yet, just the 1.04 release.

Anybody else having the same problem?

Thanks,
Lorenzo

0 Likes

Sorry, I just woke up and realized I didn’t even talk about the issue I had! :wink:

The issue is with the file open dialog which completely freezes Sublime. All I changed from the default configuration is the default font which I switched to Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 10

Thanks,
L.

0 Likes

Hi Lorenzo - it certainly should be working fine on XP SP2 - it’s what I use for development.

When you say completely freezes, is it a pause for a few seconds, or a total lockup?

It may be worth running Sublime Text with --opengl on the command line, and seeing if it still happens.

0 Likes

I’m having the same problem… the standard File save/open dialogs make the app freeze.

I’m on XP SP2. It’s a total lockup of the app: I have to kill the process when it happens.

I tried with --opengl, but it doesn’t help.

With 20080619 and earlier versions, it would show the open or save dialog and it would freeze.

With 20080623, I can “use” the save as dialog but it freezes after I change directory or if I click cancel. The Open dialog still freezes as soon as it opens.

0 Likes

Thanks for the additional details gpfsmurf.

My current theory wrt this is that the problem is caused by one or more explorer shell extensions, which get loaded when the open/save dialogs are opened, as well as when directories are changed and tooltips shown within the dialogs.

There are documented cases of Acrobat Reader 7 causing these problems, which can be fixed by the host application calling CoInitialiseEx. Initialising COM is the change in 20080623 that I had hoped would fix this, but it seems not to help. Furthermore, Lorenzo tried uninstalling Acrobat, which didn’t help.

I’ve been unable to reproduce this issue on any machine, which again points more towards an interaction between other installed software (presumably in the form of explorer shell extensions) and the open/save dialogs.

It’d be great if you could take a look at ShellExView (nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html), and send me the list of shell extensions you have installed: It may lead me towards being able to reproduce the problem myself.

0 Likes

I just sent you a full ShellExtView report of all the extensions I have installed at your support email address.

Thanks

0 Likes

It turns out that TortoiseHg is the culprit here - when the shell extension loads, it loads some Python DLLs into the current process, which interferes with any currently loaded Python DLLs, which is the case in Sublime Text. I don’t have a proper fix, but uninstalling TortoiseHg should fix the problem.

For more detail: sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d … _id=199155

0 Likes