Sublime Forum

Option-up/down Scope Navigation

Option-up top of current or next scope/block
Option-down bottom of current or next scope/block

I can’t remember where I got used to this but I really miss it in Sublime Text. Vertical movement in ST seems very cumbersome without it. Is it on some other keymap, or is there a command for this that I can map.

If not, and the feature doesn’t exist in ST at all I’d pay a serious bounty to get it. It’s like not having Option-right/left. What am I expected to touch my mouse or something? :wink:

Thanks,
j

0 Likes

What’s you definition of scope/block ?
Could you provide a small example of source code with an explication on what you expect ?

0 Likes

It works by scope as defined by the language, so python may be indentation level, ruby might be “begin” “end”, etc.

Just as option right/left moves by words, think of scope navigation the same, but nested. Down: first go to the end of the next same level scope, if there are no more same level scopes, then go to the end of the current scope and pop up one scope level.

Pseudo:

Scope 1 begin Scope 2 being Scope 3 begin Scope 3 end Scope 2 end Scope 4 begin Scope 4 end Scope 5 begin Scope 5 end Scope 1 end
From Scope 3 begin the Option-down sequence is: Jump to end of scope 3, Pop to end of scope 2, Jump to end of Scope 4, Jump to end of Scope 5, Pop to end of Scope 1.

Here’s an example using javascript:

1:function foo (bar, baz) { ^(1) 2: var x ^(2) 3: if(bar){ ^(3) 4: for(var i; i<200;i++) { ^(4) 5: if(i*bar > 1000) { ^(5)^(6) 6: doSomething(i) 7: x = getSomething(i) ^(7) 8: console.log(x) 9: break; 10: } ^(8) 11: else { 12: console.log("no") ^(9) 13: } ^(10) 14: if(i^bar > baz) { 15: doSomethingElse(baz) 16: x = getSomething(i) 17: } ^(11) 18: } ^(12) 19: doSomething2() 20: } ^(13) 21: return x 22:}

Option-down for the following locations:

#1 - Jump to line 22.
#2 - Jump to line 20.
#3 - Jump to line 20.
#4 - Jump to line 18.
#5,#6 - Jump to line 10. (see “Column consideration” below)
#7 - Jump to line 10.
#8 - Jump to line 13.
#9 - Jump to line 13.
#10 - Jump to line 11. (end of next scope)
#11 - Jump to line 12. (pop scope)
#12 - Jump to line 13. (pop scope)

Option-up is similar in reverse:

#13 - Jump to line 3.
#12 - Jump to line 4.
#11 - Jump to line 14.
etc.

Column consideration:
If I recall correctly if the caret is on or after a column that starts a scope it’s considered ‘in’ that scope. So, for example, #6 is in the “if(i*bar …” scope, #5 is in the “if(bar)” scope from line 3. However, taking column/indentation into account isn’t a critical feature to me. It’s good enough just to use the scope at the beginning of the current line.

0 Likes

Just checked and I see that TextMate does a version of this. Not identical to the rules I said, but similar. A good chance I picked it up there.

0 Likes

tl;dr

Does this do what you want?

Alex

0 Likes

Good enough! I know I couldn’t be the only one. Thanks!

0 Likes

This is a 6 year old post, but I found it using the search function so maybe people are still coming in.

Here’s the python plugin I wrote to skip to the end of the current scope:

# Sublime Text 3 plugin that moves the cursor to the end of the
# current scope

import sublime
import sublime_plugin

class ScopeJumpOutCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):
  def run(self, edit): 
    # Get the region of the scope the cursor is currently in
    scope_region = self.view.extract_scope(self.view.sel()[-1].b)
    # Remove the cursor and all selections
    self.view.sel().clear()
    # Set the cursor position to the end of the scope region
    self.view.sel().add(sublime.Region(scope_region.b, scope_region.b))

You can bind it to a hotkey in your User Key-Bindings like this:

1. Paste the python script into your User/Packages folder (use “.py” as the file extension)
  2. Add the following key binding to your key bindings:
    { “key”: “ctrl+down”, “command”: “scope_jump_out” }

If you want to modify the script to do something else (like skipping to the start of the scope instead, or adding an argument to allow for both) there’s information about the API here: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/api_reference.html

0 Likes