Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 is Slow

Perhaps Jon can take a look to see if there is some issue specific to Win 8.1. Does the problem go away if you disable indexing?

0 Likes

I noticed this on 8.0 and 8.1 and today I checked Win 7. All 64-bit, all with Defender and antivirus.

All have the problem, and it seems to go away if indexing is turned off. Also, turning off Defender and antivirus completely “solves” the problem. Just weird?

0 Likes

I just turned indexing off we will see if that helps. Is the indexing feature use for auto correct in C++? does it do anything in C++? if it doesn’t i think this will be a solution i can live with.

0 Likes

Kaniken’s post suggests that the problem is connected to Defender and/or the AV program in use. ST’s indexer scans all the project files to build its database for symbol lookup so that you can jump to func definition etc… It seems to work on several threads to achieve its ends quickly and works with most languages. Perhaps a good workaround is to configure the AV/Defender to skip any files requested for opening by sublime.exe. How you do this will depend on your AV, and I’m not sure with Defender; I use neither.

It may be that either or Defender 8.1 is blocking sublime more vicously than Defender 7 or

0 Likes

[quote=“qgates”]Kaniken’s post suggests that the problem is connected to Defender and/or the AV program in use. ST’s indexer scans all the project files to build its database for symbol lookup so that you can jump to func definition etc… It seems to work on several threads to achieve its ends quickly and works with most languages. Perhaps a good workaround is to configure the AV/Defender to skip any files requested for opening by sublime.exe. How you do this will depend on your AV, and I’m not sure with Defender; I use neither.

It may be that either or Defender 8.1 is blocking sublime more vicously than Defender 7 or [/quote]

I just found that indexing also doesn’t work with my online back up program. Basically ST3 is useless for me right now :frowning: It’s not like i am going to turn off AV and backup to edit files.

My theory is that ST3 goes haywire if external processes briefly need to lock files.

I downloaded 2.0.2 and it works fine, but I suppose ST2 doesn’t do indexing at all?

0 Likes

This shouldn’t be an issue if your backup software is using the volume shadow copy service, which it should be to avoid such issues.

ST3 shouldn’t have a problem accessing files in a read-only fashion that are open by other processes, perhaps Jon could look into that. But I and most others don’t appear to have a problem with ST3 in this regard, suggesting that this is an edge-case with certain programs. It could also be that certain things have changed in the Win8.x. Have you seen any of these issues in Win7?

0 Likes

I had some different weirdness with build 3056. Cured it by:

• Package Control:Upgrade/Overwrite All Packages

• Restart ST3

As a wild guess this might help.
My weirdness was auto-completion went away.

0 Likes

On a big project, with a lot of files, I’m seeing the same problem on OS X Mavericks. Fans blowing and all. Not in ST2, but it’s there in ST3, build 3047. For instance, when I rename a folder containing a lot of markdown files, sublime becomes unbearably slow for a while.

The funny thing is that it only started recently. I’ve been working on that project for a while without problems. I have tried disabling plugins, but that didn’t help. The only two other major things that are different since then are that I’m running Mavericks, and that I have encrypted my hard drive. I’m thinking it might have something to do with the latter?

0 Likes

So i have been looking at what could be related to this issue. I have actually found a way of reproducing it. Basically the slow down occurs when my system is even slightly taxed. Like if i open chrome, outlook, and onenote. that seems to be enough to cause ST3 to render at like 3 frames per second. I also believe it has something to do with swapping memory to disk. Anytime my system is using over 6% disk ST3 just sucks. At least now i know that i can close a background process and make sublime be normal again… Also I am not like taxing my computer to get this to happen. i am using like 6-7% cpu 20-26% memory and 6-10% disk when st3 is crapping out. If i had to make a wild guess however ST3 now is reading from disk somewhere in the rendering loop which is tanking me but who knows. maybe this will give someone enough info to fix this problem.

0 Likes

Im also having this same problem. The program runs very slow (especially typing…) scrolling isnt quite that bad but still very sluggish!

Mac OS X 10.9.2
2.66 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB Ram

0 Likes

I had this same problem, and I think I have identified the source, at least for my setup. I am using Sublime Text 3 build 3059 portable 64-bit on Windows 8. I didn’t have any problems until recently. Before I figured out what it was, I also tried turning off ST3 indexing, my anti-virus (avast), and Windows Defender, none of which fixed the problem.

Turns out, the problem was editing the text file in Boxcryptor (https://www.boxcryptor.com/) was a problem, probably because of the file locking. When I use ST3 with an unencrypted file outside of Boxcryptor, it works just fine. I’m using Boxcryptor with Dropbox, so I tried it with an unencrypted file inside of a syncing Dropbox folder, which also worked fine without any slowness.

Sadly, it looks like I can’t edit files easily, so I am working with a local clone on my desktop, which I sync with the Boxcryptor directory. I don’t know if there is any luck with other cloud encryption services, but I don’t have time to try them out now. Hopefully, this helps out others who have a similar workflow.

0 Likes

Same issue, I upgraded to build 3065 and ever since typing lags tremendously - text queues up and is dumped all at once, and scrolling is choppy.

I removed all of my packages just in case there was some sort of conflict but no dice, still lags.

I <3 sublime and have for years now, but I’m going to have to switch to another editor until this is resolved…

Specs
Mac OS X 10.9.2
2.3 GHz Intel i7
16GB Ram

0 Likes

Wow this is an old post. I was like why is my name on the front page? lol. anyway… Here are all the things that I found that could cause this back in the day.

1. Indexing going crazy on some systems. Solved by disabling file indexing in ST settings.
  2. File locking issues. I think this was solved by jon but it was caused by other applications locking the files sublime was controlling in it’s projects. Only solutions I know about involved finding and stopping the locking.
  3. Firewall/malware protection. This was a problem for most people and was solved by allowing ST through all there firewalls and auto scans. This is probably best scene by disabling firewalls entirely and seeing if your ST is fixed.
  4. 3D/GPU bottlenecking. So back when I was having a problem there was a bug in the stereoscopic support and ST. The best solution I found was to disable 3D stereoscopic support for my monitor through the windows settings. I use windows so it was really easy but it completely solved my problem. The windows setting was for my monitor and was called “3D Stereoscopic Support” and I just disabled it cause I don’t use that at all.
  5. the last thing was about GPUs and mac computers. I didn’t research it but it had something to do with high DPI/aspect ratio monitors. I know there is a gpu setting in ST settings for it tho. You might look at that.
0 Likes

So many potential solutions! I had such high hopes!

1. Disabled this in my user settings, restarted SB3 and no dice.
  2. I found no locked files
  3. I disabled my firewall, no dice.
  4. It doesn’t seem as tho Mac has settings for 3d Stereoscopics
  5. I set gpu_window_buffer to false, again no dice.

I guess I’ll try a clean removal and, if I still lack dice, reinstall ST2 …

0 Likes

Crap, I was really enjoying coming back to Sublime when started to have this issue again, which was also the reason I moved away before.
Guess i’ll need to consider other options.

0 Likes

All, I know this is an old post but I also had a type lag issue. I searched and came across this post:

sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/5 … yping-lag/

If you have “GitGutter” package installed, try un-installing it. worked for me.

Eric

0 Likes

After some attempts at removing packages the one that solved it for me was Color Highlighter.

Tools > Color highlighter > DISABLE

right away the speed from mouse interactively delay is nearly all gone. I would create groups of packages based on the project. That way im not running everything all the time.

I was about to give up on this too but glad i found a solution for my windows 10 64bit machine.

Thanks for the software usage, considering a valid license now :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Did you use ImageMagick (convert.exe) to indicate colors?
If yes, just don’t do that and Color highlighter works fine.

0 Likes

Thanks for the GPU setting for Macs tip - I set "gpu_window_buffer": "true" in my settings and that helped enormously - thanks again!

My issue btw was a horrible lag when scrolling in Sublime 3.

0 Likes

GitGutter is no longer a reason for lags as it works completely asynchronous.

0 Likes